Thread: Ascends an improvement?

Default Ascends an improvement?

This is my first post in this forum. I have been researching the ascend speakers for quite some time and am getting close to purchasing 2 340M's for the front L/R and a 340C for the center channel. From what I have read, these speakers are very well rated and are a very good speaker for the price. My question to everyone is would I be making a "step up" in sound quality by buying the ascends over my current setup of 2 boston acoustics VR-950's (fronts) and a Boston CRC (center)? I know it is a vague and difficult question to answer, bit I am looking for opinions to help make my decision easier.

I have always liked the Bostons but now I am eager to upgrade. FWIW, I plan to order the stands with the front 340's.

Thanks,
    Brandon

Welcome to the forum, Brandon!

I was wondering the same thing 3 years ago when considering the 170's.

I was running B&W 602's and wanted to upgrade. The 602's could play loud, but the mids were lacking something, and the highs at times were ear bleeding. I would get fatigued from listening for extended times.

I figured for $300 including shipping(the deal at the time), if they were not better than the B&W's I could use them for surrounds or a secondary system.

They replaced the 602's. I have not heard the 340's, but if they improve upon the 170's you will not likely be disappointed. I know someone with BA's VR towers and felt something was missing in the sound. Dunno, maybe it was the room.

You always have Ascend's 30 day trial!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

"You always have Ascend's 30 day trial!"

I needed about two hours of that 30 days to make up my mind. It may have been closer to 20 minutes for all I know. I was smitten right from the start.

"I plan to order the stands with the front 340's. "

I did order the stands with the 340's and I glad I did. Like the speakers, they are a bargain and they put the 340's at a good listening level. I wouldn't want them any lower and I didn't find a difference by raising them up. They're a nice combination. My wife even likes them and she's not too keen on some of my choices in home furnishings. I showed her a picture of Curtis's set-up as an example of what I like. The look said it ain't gonna happen.

David

Lightbulb

Brandon, where are you located? (Why don't users like to put that in their profiles?) Perhaps someone here on this forum lives near you and would be willing to demo them for you.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Sorry,
    I am located In Wisconsin about 30 miles West of Milwaukee.

Any one else have any opinions on how the ascend 340's will compare to my current Boston Acoustic VR-950's?

Thanks again for everyone's replies.

Brandon

Default Update

Brandon,
    Did you ever try Ascends? I'm a big Boston Acoustics fan and I'm curious how you would compare the two.

BTW, I think you would see a huge improvement if you upgraded your center to the VRC. I have both the CRC and VRC and much prefer the VRC. I don't own the VR950s, but they have been favorites of mine (my sister in law owns them). The mains in my two systems are Boston CR95s and CR85s.

Leigh

Default BA vs new ascends

lamazion,

I know have the 340's across the front (L/C/R) replacing the Boston Vr-950's and the CRC center. In my opionion after about 2 weeks of ownership of the ascends, the ascends are a step up in sound. The center speaker was a huge improvement with dialogue and etc.(the VRC would have maybe been a better challenge). As for the 950's vs the 340's.....the ascends are more neutral and with less emphasis on high end(treble). The bostons are somewhat "tinny" and become fatiguing after a while. I always liked the detail of them but now after having the ascends, the details are more apparent and the sounstage is awesome. I have the 340's about 10 feet apart toed in and I sit about 12 feet away from them. When I play music such as Eagles HFO DTS & Fleetwood mac rumours DVD-A, its incredible. When listening in stereo, I almost think voices come out of the center channel because of the great imaging.

Anyway, I always liked the Bostons and still use the CR-75's for surrounds, but the new ascends are hard to beat for the $.

Brandon