Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Audio Lies

Congrats on the new job. It's been nice to read your reviews and posts the past few weeks. If you ever make it out to the left coast, check out the Pacific Crest Trail. It's a completely different take on distance hiking. I've done parts of the PCT in Oregon and it's great.
    -Jim

I actually purchased a book on the PCT. When I was out on the pacific coast last spring I hiked on the PCT in a few areas between Washington and California. The other great long distance trail is the Continental Divide Trail (CDT). That one is pretty much complete wilderness and you have to find your way

I hiked up Mt. Lassen in Northern California too. I have a bunch of pics from my trip on my homepage...
    http://mysite.verizon.net/nicholasmosher/

LOL! I just edited a stupid mistake. I typed colorado instead of california...
    Last edited by Nicholas Mosher; 03-31-2005 at 12:00 PM.

I'm curious as to how many people think biwiring, power conditioning (not surge protection), and tube amplifiers are snake oil.

I can only comment on tube
    I don't consider myself an audio elitist, and have never heard a tube amp before in my life, nor was I marketed to one, but when I listened to one the first time, a very small one, it was very impressive. I'm not saying it's better than solid state, i'm just saying it sounds different.

But it seems that I bought into biwiring and power conditioning, and still believe in tube amps being different.

I've also seen electrical diagrams showing no electrical gain, but seeing as how ascend speakers are biwire capable, I'm curious as to why they would be there if they made no difference. Dave is obviously a smart guy, I'm sure they are there for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by cestlavie
    I'm curious as to how many people think biwiring, power conditioning (not surge protection), and tube amplifiers are snake oil.
    I think biwiring is by and large snakeoil, but that's just my opinion. Most common speakers that accept biwiring just come with a jumper between the sets of bindiing posts. You MIGHT be able to see any time delay due to different speaker lead lengths on a very fast, high bandwidth oscilloscope, but the difference would be so miniscule that the human ear couldn't tell the difference.

I believe that power conditioning is a YMMV situation. Your need for power conditioning depends on the quality of the electrical feed to your service panel, your inside wiring, and the quality of the power supply in your HT equipment. Most decent HT equipment has reasonable power filtration to begin with, so any improvement would be slight to none unless your power quality is poor to begin with. I have a Furman PL-8 power conditioner/surge supressor and I didn't notice any difference in sound or video quality. I bought it for it's surge supression capabilities anyhow.

I don't consider myself an audio elitist, and have never heard a tube amp before in my life, nor was I marketed to one, but when I listened to one the first time, a very small one, it was very impressive. I'm not saying it's better than solid state, i'm just saying it sounds different.
    I haven't had a chance to listen to tube gear, but I will one day. I reserve judgement on this one.

I've also seen electrical diagrams showing no electrical gain, but seeing as how ascend speakers are biwire capable, I'm curious as to why they would be there if they made no difference. Dave is obviously a smart guy, I'm sure they are there for a reason.
    I would guess that Ascend makes the 340s biwireable because there are customers that like to have that ability.
    -Jim

Fair enough, thanks for the qualified answer

I would like to hear more discussion on the bi-wiring issue. I have my current speakers bi-wired, but I went from a 16 gauge (not bi-wired) speaker wire to a 10 gauge bi-wire speaker cable. Of course it made a difference, if for no other reason than the gauge increase.
    Eddie-Did you and I talk about this a little bit a few weeks ago?

Yep, I think we did. I have my 340's bi-wired, but it's only for looks. I couldn't tell a bit of a difference in running them bi-wired or using one set of inputs. Whether I use the upper inputs, lower inputs, or both by bi-wiring, they're still getting 200 watts of juice from my Outlaw M-200's.
    - EVH III

I read the article by Peter Aczel last night. Very interesting points of view. He doesn't pull any punches either. His views of bi-wiring and high end cables shed light on the subject that you do not hear too often. Thanks for the very educational post.

Wow, so this guy doesn't believe in:

analog > digital
    A/B testing
    bi-wiring
    burn-in
    power-conditioner

You learn something new everyday

Quote Originally Posted by KPFury
    Wow, so this guy doesn't believe in:
    analog > digital
    A/B testing
    bi-wiring
    burn-in
    power-conditioner
    You learn something new everyday
    You can save a bunch of money with this guy's line of reasoning. I made the swithch almost two decades ago and my wallet has been thankful ever since.

David