Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Top 10 Audio Lies

I agree with most the things listed above.

Gotta disagree with a couple, though.

Working with power for server rooms, I know power conditioning is *NOT* snake oil. It may not have a noticiable effect on audio, but it's a good thing for your electronic equipment, no matter what it is.

Also... A/B testing is worthless? Bull. It's the only way to test speakers. Audio memory is short, so instant switching is the best way to tell the difference. When I tested my Ascends vs. Polks and JBLs, A/B switching was what showed how clearly Ascends were better.

Quote Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew
    I agree with most the things listed above.
    Gotta disagree with a couple, though.
    Working with power for server rooms, I know power conditioning is *NOT* snake oil. It may not have a noticiable effect on audio,
    Correct. Buying power conditioners without knowing what it is we're trying to fix is not a solution. Can power conditioners help someone with power delivery issues? Sometimes. Will they help most folks? No. This can all be measured. If the power company isn't delivering the goods, get em to fix it. If there's a problem with the home wiring, it's better to fix the problem itself.
    but it's a good thing for your electronic equipment, no matter what it is.
    Spending money fixing problems that don't exist is wasteful no matter what it is.

Also... A/B testing is worthless? Bull. It's the only way to test speakers. Audio memory is short, so instant switching is the best way to tell the difference. When I tested my Ascends vs. Polks and JBLs, A/B switching was what showed how clearly Ascends were better.
    The author didn't mention speakers. He specifically talked about amps and from having read other articles by him, I don't think he'd include speakers. For the sake of brevity, he left out more than he should have in this piece.

David

Thanks for pointers to these articles.

I believe the author's position was that although many people assert that double blind A/B testing is not valid, he believes it *is* valid.
    Last edited by atlr; 01-06-2006 at 06:15 AM.

Cool

I can't take that article seriously. Science is the study of the world, its not the "rules book" of the world, therefore it will always progress to the undiscovered areas. Lookup how world's scientists initially reacted to Einstein's theory of relativity

I'm just a music listerner, so I can't critically evaluate how the product works. Therefore, the only things that I trust in evaluating HiFi components are my good old ears! Professional opinions are good guideways, but in the end, I might not hear what they hear, might not like what they like, and vise-versa. If the difference is well more than subtle and gives the most improvement to the system at its price, its well worth it, even if its a bybee filter Even if part of it is psychological, it still worth it, because the whole point is to enjoy the music at nirvana!
    Last edited by gevorg; 04-06-2006 at 11:07 PM.

One thing to consider is that the author is just stating his opinion and I'm sure that you could find other equaly or better qualified "experts" who might take issue with some of his points.