Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Planning Basement HT...what did I forget?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Jonny...if I remember correctly, I first "ran" into you right after I got my Ascends.
    Yeah, that sounds right. How long ago was that? I guess I did delay actually joining the forum for a while...
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by Furypitcher
    Cool. I ordered mine yesterday to, the 23-23 system. I just don't know when I'll get them, could be next week or two months from now. Shipping to overseas can be a real pain. Curtis was right, they do give a military discount and it was more than I was expecting. Great company to do business with. They may get more business once people here get a chance to hear my system.
    Congrats on the order! Feels good doesn't it? The military discount was a great surprise - it was much more than I expected also. They also gave me a very good price on the HK AVR-435 which helped a ton. I'm sure I will be sending potential customers their way - (Can't wait to have a friend who has Klipsch Reference series and wants something more "comfortable" to listen to with movies - of course he has a dual 10" Sunfire sub....now I want to hear that!).
    Jon O.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyozero3
    Yeah, that sounds right. How long ago was that? I guess I did delay actually joining the forum for a while...
    It has been almost exactly two years since I first got Ascends. When doing the research, the two people, members of this board, that had posts or reviews that I read were BradJudy and Ben_Wood.
    -curtis

Wow - that's probably around the time I was looking at Aperion and Axiom, only took me a few weeks to find ascend and I've been hooked ever since. Shipping email says they'll be here thursday...woohoo!
    Jon O.

Unhappy A choice....

Dia..Dia...Diagrams:
    http://community.webshots.com/album/109804667bgmVCV?444

Okay guys - I need some help with a big decision regarding my front projector screen placement and the 340 center channel. I have two options (and note their +'s and -'s):

1) Original Idea: 340 Center sits on a 28" high stand for a total of 35.5" of height. CBM-170s are on 30" stands. 100" diag PJ screen starts at 36" and goes up 49" plus a small border right to the ceiling.

+ 340c lines up well with CBM-170s for great sound (4.25in difference b/t 340 tweeter & middle of the 170s)
    - CBM-170s are closer to .80 than .73 on that placement ratio in the Ascend manual due to screen width which is dictated by the PJ placement.
    - PJ screen starts high, could be fatiguing (18.2 degree viewing angle)
    - PJ sits on desk 36" about 6 inches behind the head of the middle couch cushion - spews hot lamp heat and makes fan noise (I can sit and not slouch and be fine)

2) Drop 340 10 inches lower: Change 340 stand option to an 18" stand for a total of 25.5" of height. 170s are still at 30". 96-100" PJ screen starts around 28" and leaves about 7 inches of room before the ceiling. PJ gets mounted on underhang (remember photos) overhead the primary listening/watching position.

+ PJ screen is more to eye level
    + PJ isn't behind/just above the head of the middle couch person
    + More flexibility in screen size with a ceiling mount
    + I can get closer to the CBM-170 .73 placement ratio from the Ascend manual by lowering the screen size to 96" or 98"
    - 340's tweeter is now 14.25" lower than the center of the CBM-170s.

Basically, I have a choice between audio and video here. I don't want to compromise either way but it looks like I have little choice. I really wanted to have an even soundstage across the front, but how much would it cost me sonically to have the 340 14 inches lower than the 170s?
    Last edited by Jonnyozero3; 04-17-2005 at 11:13 PM. Reason: updated diagrams, edited for clarity
    Jon O.

So far, how does it sound? Do you like the H/K?

Disregard. Just saw your other "Review..." thread.