Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planning Basement HT...what did I forget?

Arrow Planning Basement HT...what did I forget?

Well guys, the time has arrived for me to throw down my hard earned cash and finally get my home theater started. I feel like I've been on this and other forums forever (read:lurking) doing too much reading and too much planning (as if there is such a notion). My girlfriend thinks I'm a crazy obsessed geek and I think I agree with her. But, I would like some of you who are much smarter than me on this audio/visual stuff to take a look if you have time and see if I've missed anything or if you have any better ideas.

To follow along please see the jpg diagrams and photos in th HT folder at:
    http://community.webshots.com/album/109804667bgmVCV
    (Photos should be live within 30 min)

Anyhow, my room is approx. 17.75'x24.5' with walled areas in two corners (one is a storage area/stairs other is reserved for a bathroom), leaving me with a main area of 24.5x12.5-ish. There is a big built-in in front that I am removing. There is also a 3'7" wide low part of the ceiling that houses some pipes and vents. The ceiling is finished with a office-type foam rectangle deal. Also, there is a 5.5"x5" wood post and a metal 3" pole located alongside the seating areas. I will have a couch, loveseat, and chair with ottoman to shuffle around.

Equipment:
    Projector (either Panny AE700, Tosh MT700, or BenQ 7700 most likely)
    DIY 96-100" Screen
    Asend CBM-170s x 4, CMT-340C
    SVS PB10-ISD
    Harman Kardon AVR-435 (depending on the price I can find)
    Other stuff DVD/Xbox/PC etc.

Since this is the wonderful audio forum, I am really asking for help in placing the speakers. I tried to plan it so the fronts can image well for as many seats as possible (3ft forward and 2ft from the side walls). I employed the "golden triangle" rule (1-1-1)...I hope that was a correct way to go. I will upgrade to 7.1 eventually but the side surrounds will be doing 5.1 duty for now (few months). I have no idea where the sub will go. I am also curious if the 170s with the PB10 will be fine in a room this size, I am assuming yes.

I am having a hard time deciding where to place the rears to best fit the room & provide the best sound. I'm thinking a few feet above the listeners on the wall (omnimount?), and for the surround backs a ceiling option would be fine b/c the ceiling light foam blocks that pop upwards (if that makes sense) and I can cut them easily. I am just not sure what distance would be best for the 4 surrounds. I'd like to get the surround backs as far back as possible (back wall) for 7ch stereo while playing darts , but the HK-435 manual says no more than 6 feet. DOH! And the for the side surrounds I'm not sure how close to the seating to put them and how wide to place them (See diagram).

Anyhow, if anyone can shed some light on what I should do, and what would be best, I would greatly appreciate it. I want to do this right the first time.

Thanks a ton,
    Jon O.

PS: wow I wrote a lot, sorry - and there was a lot of questions in there. Do I need to write an outline? heh.
    Last edited by Jonnyozero3; 03-30-2005 at 02:49 PM.
    Jon O.

Hey Jon.....good to see you post!

A friend of mine just bought a Panny AE700...she loves it, but I have not seen it yet.

Just looking quickly at the layout, I think it looks good, I would just move the rear surrounds closer, and possibly a bigger sub. Maybe even go to all 340's along the front. Other than that, I am very envious! Heck...even without those suggestions, I am envious!
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Hey Jon.....good to see you post!

Just looking quickly at the layout, I think it looks good, I would just move the rear surrounds closer, and possibly a bigger sub. Maybe even go to all 340's along the front. Other than that, I am very envious! Heck...even without those suggestions, I am envious!
    I agree with Curtis. The only thing I might change is 340's accross the front if music is important to you. A bigger, better sub is always a fun way to spend money. Nice layout, Jon.

David

Thanks guys - I appreciate the kind words.

If the 170s can carry the room fine right now, I think I will do a 5.1 setup with them, and then maybe later I can scratch the money together for 340s if I feel the need. I listen to a bit of music now...but I'm guessing I'll be buying more CDs once I get setup and it'll become more important

As for the sub, I hope its big enough...like you say its a great way to spend money. I've loved my Klipsch Promedia Ultra dual 8" sub (hey they're computer speakers back from when I lived in dorms), so we'll see.

For the surround backs, I wonder if I can get/make an adjustable ceiling mount so I can turn them 180 degrees when its time for a party. Hmmmm...

The stuff I'm down to figuring out (and definately accepting suggestions) now are:
    1) Speaker Stands (where can I get just three matching ones of two sizes for less than $80 a pair?)
    2) Cables (thinking Soundking 12ga w/bannanas, and maybe AR Pro's from ac4l.com for the interconnects etc)
    3) Cheap room treatment solutions - I want to put up theatre-style curtains, so maybe I can put ugly but effective foam behind them. Of course, I need to find cheap cloth first
    4) Power Conditioner (under $100) - only a few ideas so far, and it looks like I may need 8-10 outlets. No monster. They're evil.
    5) Need some positive reinforcement on the 435 choice - I'm hoping the EQ and the TI chip are worth the extra dough
    6) And the video side is a whole 'nuther can o' worms

...and I complain about how complex and confusing this hobby can be, but that's what makes it fun!

I think I may call Ascend tomorrow to place my initial order - extended plan I think....that's what I get from going up to the Toshiba MT700 from the Panny AE700
    Jon O.

Johnny,

Did you get moved to Omaha? I believe I read that you were going to relocate there. I live an hour to the north.

Randy

Randy -

Yup, I just got up here on the 18th. I moved into a house in Papillion about 12-15min from Offutt AFB - hence the reason I now have a basement to put a home theater in

So now that there's two of us here we can organize an Ascend get-together right? haha!

Seriously though - in case you can't tell by my incessant....er unceasing...typing in posts I am very excited! (And I try never to use exclamation points)

!
    Jon O.

Welcome to the Midwest. I assume you'll be operating out of Offut. Have a friend of the family that used to fly on LookingGlass missions there. Interesting stuff.

If you need anything let me know. I've got a cousin (retired military)in Bellevue and my bro-in-law in Elkhorn (owns a light construction/remodel biz).
    We try to get down to the "big city" once a month or so.

Randy

Yup, you've assumed correctly. I'm an EWO (Electronic Warfare Officer/rated Navigator) and I'll be flying as soon as I get trained up on the RC-135. Luckily I have some down time waiting to get into a class so I can enjoy getting my new setup together. Those LookingGlass missions were pretty neat - I can't believe they always had a plane airborne from '61-90. Very cool.

Thanks for the welcome and the offer - people are nicer up here than in Texas Any chance your brother-in-law does electrical and would like to quote me on how much it would be to wire in a couple new outlets for my basement?

ps: I like these smaller forums...nobody minds the personal discussions...pms are extra work...
    Jon O.

Did you get a military discount when you bought your speakers? It was mentioned by one of the members that Dave gives military a discount. I fixing to buy the 23-23 system and have it shipped to Keflavik, Iceland. Boy shipping up here is expensive.

I haven't ordered just yet, but I will be sure to ask since I've heard he does offer one. I may do some ordering today since its payday

Heh, I can't figure out which system is the 23-23....is that a 7.1 CBM-170/340C setup?

And you're in Keflavik huh? I definately don't want to know what the shipping is to there. What do you do?
    Jon O.