Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accessories Recommendations

Question Accessories Recommendations

I'm fixing to order the system 23-23 in a few days and just need some suggestions on stands, speaker wires and sub cable. My problem is my location, stationed in Iceland. So it's hard for me to go out and look at stands and wiring. The stands that Ascend offers for the 170 just don't look stable enough to survive the occational bump by my 1 & 3 year olds. As for cables and wiring, my stuff is about 15 years old and in need of replacing. I'm looking for good quality, but not overly expensive, since I need to replace everything. My next purchase will be a Pioneer 56txi or Denon 3805 in a month or so. Any suggestions will be well recieved and appriciated.

Can't say that I know about the Denon, other than an overly good reputation, but I'm currently using the 56txi, it's neutral, powerful, heavy, beautiful and fits the bill.

As for cables, unless you have some extreme lengths you are going to be using, IMHO cables provide for the least return on money, and even the owner of mcintosh did a demonstration that people could not tell the difference between really expensive speaker wire and home depot lamp wire. I would just go for the cheapest, I've heard good thing about
    http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....=374&sm=1&so=2

Hope that helped,
    C'est

Fury....if you can, give Ascend a call. Dave has posted before that he offers discounts to our country's military personnel.

I am not sure which internet companies would ship to Iceland, but for stands, check www.racksandstands.com as well as www.partexpess.com.

Partsexpress is also good for cables, I also like www.bluejeanscable.com. For speaker cable, good 12 gauge stuff is usually available at hardware stores and is inexpensive....also available at partsexpress.com.
    -curtis

Dave hasn't said anything about a military discount during our email conversations. Is it something that gets brought up during ordering?

I use the SoundKing wire that Cestlavie provided the link for. Good stuff and low cost to boot. I use the 12ga. but 14ga would be more than adequate for most runs.

Randy

I'm not sure when it comes up....I don't think it is something that is programmed into the online system. I think you would have to call Ascend directly.
    -curtis

Lightbulb

What's wrong with the wire they sell right here on the Ascend site?
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

I plan on calling them when I order. It's the best way to get the final price including shipping.

I'm sure nothings wrong with the wire offered by Ascend. Just trying to get a feel for what's out there. It's been along time since I've bought any wire or cables.

Thanks for all of the great info. Keep it coming.

I always forget that Ascend sells speaker cable. At 75 cents a foot for 14 gauge-4 conductor, it is like the Canare 4S11 that I use....and a good deal.
    -curtis

Is it still recommended to keep the wiring length the same for the fronts channels and the same length for the rear channels?