Thread: What would you do?

Default What would you do?

Upgrade-itis has set in. I currently have a 340c, 170s as mains, and some old klipsch kg4s as surrounds. I have an SVS 20-39 pci sub. These are setup in my 12x15 room, 102" screen projection set-up. I have an HK AVR230 receiver, but the ascends are powered by a Parasound amp with 85 wpc. I am selling some Maggies (mmg/w and /c) and will use the proceeds to do one of two things: 1)sell the maggies and my current sub, and upgrade to either a pc-ultra or pb12-plus/2 sub; or 2) sell the maggies, get a pair of 340ms and mount the 170's as surround speakers. Any thoughts on which setup will have the most impact in terms of actual listening enjoyment? I really like my current setup, but I must upgrade. The 170's are so good, I dont know if going to the 340's will have the same impact as a significantly more powerful sub.
    340SE LCR
    340CMT surrounds
    SVS PB12+2
    PLV Z2 w/ Carada 102" screen
    HK230 and Parasound 855hca
    Buttkicker LFE
    Oppo DVD

First, how would you compare the Maggie MMG's with the Ascends?

I think the upgrade that would make the nicest change to the experience would be getting the 340m's and moving the 170's to surrounds.

Second choice would be to change your sub to the Ultra. In your room, output is not an issue, but the Ultra will give you better sound quality over the PCi.

By the way...I own a pair of KG4's too...but I don't use them.
    -curtis

I really like the maggies. If you appreciate a more airy, slightly less directional experience with your music, they may be the way to go. My thing is, I spend lots more time watching movies, and decided after a little testing that I needed something a little more dynamic, and the ascends do that very well. The mmg center spreads things out nicely, and is harder to pinpoint than the 340, but you have to turn it up much louder to get the same response. That being said, i really like the ascends for music too.
    Your suggestions are much appreciated. The wife would be much less inclined to hassle me if I was getting new speakers instead of a new sub. I really like listening to music through the 340c (in logic 7 mode) and I think getting a pair of the 340s is probably most likely.
    I have had my kg4's for about 15 years, and they have never let me down.
    340SE LCR
    340CMT surrounds
    SVS PB12+2
    Buttkicker LFE
    Oppo DVD

I'm an SVS owner and huge SVS fan (as well as Hsu). That being said, if you can, build an infinite baffle subwoofer. For less than the price of a mid-level Hsu or SVS you can have world class performance.

I'd never heard of an infinite baffle setup until Tom Vodhanel (yes, the Vodhanel of Stimpson Vodhanel Subwoofers) recommended it to me. I moved to a new house and wanted his opinion on upgrading. He said that if my house allowed it an infinite baffle sub was unquestionably the way to go.

Given the dimensions of your room I'd go with 4 AE IB15s for a total of $400. Add a Nady XA-900 amp for $180. Equalize it with a Behringer Feedback Destroyer for $100.

For around $700 after materials are added in you would have a sub that almost no box/tube subwoofer could match.

Four 15" drivers for a 12x15 room? That seems like massive overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    Four 15" drivers for a 12x15 room? That seems like massive overkill.

Yes and no. You have to understand infinite baffles.

Under most circumstances two high excursion 15" drivers would be OK for a 12'x15' room (provided it didn't have some crazy high ceiling). However, the particular drivers I mentioned are on special right now. They are usually $200 each. If you buy 4 right now they are only $400. More drivers, more efficient, less distortion.

Well, I went with the 340s, they should show up tomorrow. I hope to trade in some other stuff to upgrade from my PCi 20-39 to the PC Ultra. It seems a shame to relegate the 170s to surround duty, but I'm also looking forward to having an all ascend setup.
    340SE LCR
    340CMT surrounds
    SVS PB12+2
    Buttkicker LFE
    Oppo DVD