Thread: Stand height for 340?

Default Stand height for 340?

I have often heard that the stand height for the front speakers should be such that the tweeter is ~ ear level (typically ~ 38-40" above the floor). Since the tweeter in the 340 looks to be in the middle, and the ht of the speaker is 21", it is ~ 10" from the bottom of the speaker. This would suggest that a 30" stand would be about right. But it looks like the stands being sold with the 340 are about 6" shorter than this.

Can someone clue me in on the situation? What is the best ht for a stand for the 340?

FWIW, I have my 340's on custom stands due to the layout of my furniture. They are 31" high, and when I am seated on my couch, the tweeters are about 5" higher than my ears.

I sit about 11' from the mains, and honestly, I can not hear the difference if I sit up 5 inches. At that distance, I am well within the range of vertical dispurtion. The Ascend stands would be just about the perfect height for me.

My Parents have the Ascend stands with their 340's. Next time I am there, I will check to see the relation between ear and tweeter with their new seating.

Mine:

My Parents'
    -curtis

I wish the 340 stands were a bit taller. One of these days I'm going to figure out a way to raise them. I just have to figure a way that is both safe and aesthetically pleasing.

I've experimented with the height of the 340's with stands. I raised them 2, 3 & 4" and couldn't tell a difference so they are now in back to normal.

David

I built stands for my 340's. They are essentially designed just like the factory 340 stands except mine are 25" tall and built out of oak. When I measured for "ear height" at my seating position this is what I came up with. I think the factory 24" height should be just fine.

...AND CURTIS!! Quit teasing us with those pictures of your folks theater!!!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Lou-the-dog
    ...AND CURTIS!! Quit teasing us with those pictures of your folks theater!!!

I had a college friend in town on Sunday, a Marine, and my Parents know him well. He is stationed in Okinawa with his family and was here on business. I guess on the base or Japan, they do not have high definition.....at least he had never seen it before.

Anyways, we turned on the NCAA Mens Tourney in HD, he sat down on the new couch, reclined, and said "oh god.....I would never leave the house if I had this." We just had a lot of dim sum too!
    -curtis

Boy! Would I like to have some of that Ekornes stuff. Those pics just keep reminding me how cool that stuff is.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by millerwill
    Since the tweeter in the 340 looks to be in the middle, and the ht of the speaker is 21", it is ~ 10" from the bottom of the speaker. This would suggest that a 30" stand would be about right. But it looks like the stands being sold with the 340 are about 6" shorter than this.

Can someone clue me in on the situation? What is the best ht for a stand for the 340?
    Hi Millerwill,

Our TP24 pedestal stands are actually 24" high. The pedestal part of the stand is 21" high, the base of the stand is 1" thick, and the spiked feet are a minimum of 2" high. Total height = 24".

The tweeter on the 340 is positioned verticall at exactly 10.5", this means that when using 340 main on the 340 stand, the tweeter is at 34.5". That comes in at pretty close to ear-level for most people sitting on a couch. 3 or 4" higher or lower really won't matter at all...

Take care!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by curtis

I had a college friend in town on Sunday, a Marine, and my Parents know him well. He is stationed in Okinawa with his family and was here on business. I guess on the base or Japan, they do not have high definition.....at least he had never seen it before.

Anyways, we turned on the NCAA Mens Tourney in HD, he sat down on the new couch, reclined, and said "oh god.....I would never leave the house if I had this." We just had a lot of dim sum too!
    now now curtis, you shouldn't tease your friends like this either.

I used to have my 340s on 16" stands on top of a 16" Ikea low entertainment cabinet, on either side of the TV for a total of 32" height. But about a week ago my wife prevailed (long story better left untold, LOL) in making me put them on 21" stands directly on the floor. Now the speakers are further apart but also 11 inches lower and to my ears do not sound quite as good ,even though the tweeters are now exactly ear level...they seemed much more open and "alive" at the 32" height.

That may be due to the room having 18 foot ceilings so the greater height fills up the space better, at least that's my theory. Meanwhile I have my eye on some 31" stands! : )

Anyways my experience with speakers is that they can never be too high...but they can definitely be too low!