Thread: AC voltages at home

Default AC voltages at home

I just got a power conditioner that has voltage and current readouts.

With all seven channels driven by my 150wpc amps louder than I can handle watching DTS demos, the TV on, DVD player on, and ofcourse the pre/pro.....I can't draw more than 5 amps or so. The subwoofer on not plugged into the unit...but I suspect that would add a fair percentage to it.

What is really interesting is the voltage. Last night, it went from 110v to about 123v as it got later into the night. This morning before I left for the office it was about 120v. My guess is the later it gets into the night, the demands on the power grid is less, and then I see higher voltages.

Any electricity gurus out there? Am I on the right path?
    -curtis

I don't claim to be a guru but I think you are spot on. I moniter the voltage out at my farm and notice the same phenomenon. The thing to watch out for is dropping much below 110 volts. For a given wattage, as voltage declines them amperage must increase. Too far out of whack and excess heat and damage can occur.

Randy

Wonder why I didn't see your post sooner.....

In any case, thanks Randy!
    -curtis

Curtis,

My power conditioner also has Voltage readout with the lowest and highest readings of 118v and 121v respectively. Very consistent. I've had my power conditoner for over a year now. I must have very stable electricity here in Merritt Island. I guess I was a little surprised that your getting readings as low as 110v.

Bill
    Greetings from Central Florida!

Yeah Bill...right now it is 8pm and the reading is 112.6 volts.
    -curtis