Thread: CBM-170 build quality and customer service

Default CBM-170 build quality and customer service

I'm not going to review the sound quality from my CBM-170, HK3480, STF1 , NAD C561BEE setup. I've been in and out of bands, recording/producing music, in choirs, basically involved in music for nearly 30 years. I've been in numerous recording studios and have heard some tremendous sounding speakers. The above setup in my 12x17 ft "piano" room surpasses anything I've heard. You will not buy better speakers for the price.

Wait....I said I was not going to review the sound quality...I guess I couldn't resist. But here is what I really wanted to discuss:

I recently did something VERY stupid. I have my CBM's on 4ft mahogony speaker stands. The stands are rather tall and thin, so there isn't much keeping them from tipping over. Well....it happened. I tipped on of the stands and my CBM fell 4ft to the ground. My heart sank. I picked it up and noticed the front grill was damaged (the grill snaps were shattered as would be expected from such a hard fall). However the rest of the speaker seemed to be unscathed. I put it back on the stand, popped in a CD and to my relief...the pure sounding CBM was as good as before the fall. GREAT BUILD QUALITY!!!!!

That's not it. I decided to give the fine folks at Ascend a call to order a new grill and they agreed to send me a new grill free of any charge!!!! This customer support is very VERY rare these days.

Not only does this product sound better than anything in it's class, it has the build quality and customer support to match it's amazing sound!!!!!!!

THANK YOU ASCEND FOR YOUR WONDERFUL PRODUCTS AND SERVICE!!!!

Georg Lang

Congrats on the 170s. It's stories like this that made me insist on fillable speaker stands for my 170s

georg - happy to hear about the solid build quailty. I have my 170's mounted and am always worried of them falling down (they're mounted solid enough, don't get me wrong, just one of those paranoid things). Nice to know if my fears should come to pass it should be OK.

As for the grills - they're cheap enough - but that's not the point. The point is it was your fault (however unintentional it was) and the fact that David is replacing them at no cost to you IS fantastic.

Story's like that make me even prouder to be an Ascend owner - not that I ever intend on doing any damage to my speakers, but accidents do happen. How does the Ascend jingle go again....:"Like a good neighbor, David F. is there!"

Hi Georg,

Quote Originally Posted by georg
    THANK YOU ASCEND FOR YOUR WONDERFUL PRODUCTS AND SERVICE!!!!

Georg Lang
    thanks!!!! and thank YOU for posting your experience.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com