Got my 170, 340, 170 fronts over a year ago, and combined with my old onkyo speakers for surrounds found the system satisfying

6 months later I got the upgrade bug and bought the 340s w/stands and the vtf3 mk2... despite the time gap DaveF still gave me a package deal, hope I‘m not opening a can of worms, thanks dave…as some of you know I tried to sneak these past my wife but no success, but she relented after my groveling

So I have been enjoying the new setup with all 340 fronts and 170s for surrounds, run by the Onkyo 701 using 12 gauge Home Depot wires, mains connected to a crown amp

Yesterday afternoon, because I had nothing better to do, I decided to plop the 170s on the 340s stands for mains again just for 2 channel use…listened to Norah Jones-Come Away with Me- album, then to Eva Cassidy-Songbird- album…WHOA!!!

Listened all afternoon and throughout the night till 2:00 am when wife came down and told me to go to bed
The 340s play louder but I LOVE the 170s more…the 170s have as much detail and presence without the ssss sound I hear from the 340s… don’t they have the same tweeters?

Kpt. Krunch, Eddie, Bikeman, Quinn, Curtis, Lee, anybody who switched the 340 to 170 or vice versa for mains

…tell me it aint so…

my wife tells me she can’t tell the difference but she is no audiophile