Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 170 amazing...better than 340?

Default 170 amazing...better than 340?

Got my 170, 340, 170 fronts over a year ago, and combined with my old onkyo speakers for surrounds found the system satisfying

6 months later I got the upgrade bug and bought the 340s w/stands and the vtf3 mk2... despite the time gap DaveF still gave me a package deal, hope I‘m not opening a can of worms, thanks dave…as some of you know I tried to sneak these past my wife but no success, but she relented after my groveling

So I have been enjoying the new setup with all 340 fronts and 170s for surrounds, run by the Onkyo 701 using 12 gauge Home Depot wires, mains connected to a crown amp

Yesterday afternoon, because I had nothing better to do, I decided to plop the 170s on the 340s stands for mains again just for 2 channel use…listened to Norah Jones-Come Away with Me- album, then to Eva Cassidy-Songbird- album…WHOA!!!

Listened all afternoon and throughout the night till 2:00 am when wife came down and told me to go to bed
    The 340s play louder but I LOVE the 170s more…the 170s have as much detail and presence without the ssss sound I hear from the 340s… don’t they have the same tweeters?

Kpt. Krunch, Eddie, Bikeman, Quinn, Curtis, Lee, anybody who switched the 340 to 170 or vice versa for mains

…tell me it aint so…

my wife tells me she can’t tell the difference but she is no audiophile

I haven't tried that yet. From listening to multichannel music, I can see where you are coming from though. Also, I belive the 340's play lower - but that could be the multichannel mix.

I'm afraid I can't help you, I started with 340's across the front.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

This is interesting. I posted some time ago (a year or so) how on some music I liked the presentation of the 170's over the 340's. I think the rest of the forum assumed I got ahold of some bad booze. Don't get me wrong, the 340's will always be my mains, but as I've said before,those 170's really are amazing!

Randy

I think there may be a couple of reasons you like the 170's better....

1. The 340's are not quite as flat as the 170's, and were designed to be a bit more dynamic. You may prefer the ultra flat 170's.

2. Maybe the room has something to do with it. The 340's have a wider dispertion and "bigger" sound, which in turn may interact with the room more.

I've said it before, if someone took my 340's away and replaced them with 170's.....I wouldn't be very upset.
    -curtis

340 stands are too short for 170s. your best A/B would be to have the tweeters at the same height, or at least have 170s on taller stands.

it's not impossible to think that you like the 170s over the 340s. your first speaker was the 170, and you never forget your first love. i preferred the 170s over a $1499 floor stander.

340s perform better in my large room, but they do not do well in this room which is quite small. i bring the 170s in here pretty often to listen to stereo music. at the same rate, i don't listen to stereo in my large room w/ the 170s. maybe it's just the best of both worlds. i can listen to either one depending on what i want to do. afterall, it's all about user preference.

and, it's OK to LOVE your 170s.

While I've never heard the 340's, I wouldn't trade my 170s for anything under $1900, unless it was to sell the higher priced speakers, replace my 170s, and buy a bunch of DVDs...

I think you need to get in touch with Dave and figure why you have sibilence on your 340s. I don't nor does Curtis as far as I know. I doubt metalaaron would be happy if he had siblence either.
    Last edited by Quinn; 03-26-2005 at 08:11 PM.

I have some Eva Cassidy stuff.....I love her voice, but the recordings are not the best.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by metalaaron
    340 stands are too short for 170s. your best A/B would be to have the tweeters at the same height, or at least have 170s on taller stands.

it's not impossible to think that you like the 170s over the 340s. your first speaker was the 170, and you never forget your first love. i preferred the 170s over a $1499 floor stander.

340s perform better in my large room, but they do not do well in this room which is quite small. i bring the 170s in here pretty often to listen to stereo music. at the same rate, i don't listen to stereo in my large room w/ the 170s. maybe it's just the best of both worlds. i can listen to either one depending on what i want to do. afterall, it's all about user preference.

and, it's OK to LOVE your 170s.

the 170s with 340s stand are at ear level when i am slouch on the couch so maybe that is why they sound better

heh, heh, heh....metalaaron, you are right about first love, i played the field and i am back for now till DaveF can help me on the 340s