Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sad to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Horton
    Can you imagine what kind of ruckus this will cause on HTF and AVS? Talk about marketing. It's going to taint every recommendation of AV123 products and get threads locked left and right.
    I actually makes a bad first impression when someone who has never heard of these companies before sees behavior like I have seen on AVS & HTF (with regards to marketing). The 2 that I saw over and over again were AV123 & SVS.

This is actually what drew me towards Ascend. You don't see people marketing them constantly. There is just more class to the posts from Ascend owners.

I had a chance to put 4 different pairs of speakers to the test in my room. They were all direct competitors (one of the competitors is mentioned in the thread) you can guess which ones I preferred.

Ok - that makes sense, and knocks my friend out of contention. Almost like having commissioned salesmen, though based on product rather than cold hard cash. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out - can't blame Mark for trying!

I don't doubt that it will be good for their business. Schifter seems like a pretty savvy guy. I just can't wait to see what happens on all the forums.......

Newbie looking for speakers: "What kind of speakers should I buy with a $2,000.00 budget?"

Rocket owner: "Buy some Rockets. They are great."

Non-Rocket owner: "Oh great...here come the shills."

Rocket owner: "Your Mama's a shill."

etc. etc. etc.

I just don't think much good will come of this on the boards regardless of how much better MLS's bottom line looks.
    - EVH III

Too funny!!

The bottom line......what motivates you to promote and market the equipment you like.

By the way...Axiom has a similar program, but it isn't "selected" people...it is anyone that has Axioms.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    The bottom line......what motivates you to promote and market the equipment you like.
    I'm the one guy in those "recommend speakers for $XXXX.XX" threads that recommends listening to as many speakers as possible and pick what they like.

This brings up some interesting thoughts.

When someone comes into my home to listen, I give them the control to listen to what they want and how they want. I make it a point not to offer any of my thoughts unless asked...and even when asked, I am careful about being biased. I have seen how the power of suggestion works with this audio hobby of ours, and I don't like it.

One person that visited my house for a listen had previously visited the home of someone else that owned another internet direct brand. I had been to that person's house before with my Ascends twice and actually know the owner fairly well....so he knows full well who I am and where I live....he had been to my house as well. Anyways, the person that was at my house for a demo said the other internet direct brand owner remarked that the Ascends were bright and that he didn't know anyone in the area that had them for demo.

Left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. That said, I hate to say, but I think the commission program will fuel more of that type of behavior.
    -curtis

I wonder if this approach will "really" increase the number of auditions and resulting sales. I mean, those people willing to become "partners" are already Rocket owners and are more than willing to audition their speakers for free and no strings attached. What will this change...really...will these partners now be out on the street dragging in some poor fool and performing hard-sell? I don't think so. They definitely won't be able to actively market on the forums for the previously mentioned reasons. I dunno... from my standpoint I see more negatives than benefits for now. AV123 has already stood a pile of controversy...probably mostly uncalled for...and I think this will only add to the fire. For some reason I think this approach is something that mostly any other online company could pull off...but not AV123.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    One person that visited my house for a listen had previously visited the home of someone else that owned another internet direct brand. I had been to that person's house before with my Ascends twice and actually know the owner fairly well....so he knows full well who I am and where I live....he had been to my house as well. Anyways, the person that was at my house for a demo said the other internet direct brand owner remarked that the Ascends were bright and that he didn't know anyone in the area that had them for demo.

Left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. That said, I hate to say, but I think the commission program will fuel more of that type of behavior.
    Wow!! and I already had a poor opinion of that person.

mark has expressed his disinterest of the reaction online and that he plans to focus on other things. rocket partners will also have access to a closed section of their forum - partners only. wise.

i would wager a more aggressive approach than audioenvy.com. i would expect debut searches through av123.com for the 50 certified partners. still, a search for rocket products on audioenvy.com could now yield a graphic (star or some sort of eye catcher) next to the search results ... with the corresponding products of interest that signifies "certified rocket partner" or "certified rocket showcase" or something to that effect which in turn links you to av123 domain. the approach has huge potential for av123 to grow which i believe is their plan not only nationally but also internationally.

the reaction online is yet to be seen...