Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Svs Pb10-isd

Ed said that 60Hz peak is induced by the height of the room I think. Thats the biggest difference I noted with the BFD. Alot of things cleared up after chopping that 60Hz peak.

[homer]MMMM... Cooking Tater Tots... smell.... good... [/homer]

Okay, I just spent some time listening to some music. Definite improvements.

Diana Krall: Love Scenes DVD-A
    The PB10 blends nice and smooth with my Ascend Acoustics 170's now. Double Bass chords are spectacular for the most part. At the beginnings of "Lost Mind" and "My Love Is" there are real fast notes that make the PB10 stick out. They start and stop fast and are fairly loud. The PB10 can't seem to do these without bringing attention to itself. With everything else it simply blended in and seamlessly supported the main 5 channels. Definite improvement, I listened to it for about 1/2hr I loved it so much.

Eagles: Hotel California DVD-A
    I dunno, but those kick-drums in "Hotel California" sound like elephant farts . Maybe it's just the mixing itself, but they sound god awful. The sub hits, sticks out in the room, and goes into a real low rumble. I'd appreciate if another AVS member who has this disc could take a listen and tell me what they here. Track 1.

Sting: Brand New Day
    As track one opens there is a low droning of Bass that sets the mood. Very cool. Then comes these loud bass hits which suffer the same way they did while listening to Diana Krall. The hits make the sub immediately stick out, and they don't seem to be handled with authority. They seem loose or something. Track 5 has similar troubles. Overall the BFD made a gigantic improvement. Before I couldn't even stand listening to this disc, I felt like I was in some 16yr olds car with everything going MMMMM a BMMMMMM BMMMMMMM. It sounds ok now, but again, not completely up to my expectatrions.

Telarc SACD Sampler #2
    This has to be my favorite demo disc. It has everything! I started off with pipe organs. The PB10 fleshes them out nicely, but doesn't have those infrasonics I'm looking for. Lots of drums on tracks 2 & 7. Things are MUCH more clear. The droning has been reduced by about 80% I'd say. Again though, that ultra-low gut-twisting effect of those huge impacts that comes at the end of a drum blast almost like a whip-lash aren't there. Similar hits like I mentioned above make the PB10 stand out a bit though.

I think I would benefit from a lower crossover, say 60Hz, or possibly placing the sub on the front soundstage as Ed recommended. I'm still baffled by those kick drums though. God! I'm definetly looking at lower tuned subs like the SVS 16-46 PC-Plus. Another thing I've noticed thats weird around 20Hz is how the bass feels. Its almost like you can feel the sub struggling at high volume at those frequencies. The bass no longer feels like smooth pressure, its almost as though the sub is struggling and you can feel the 10" driver screaming. Going to make some tweaks here and there over the weekend before I call SVS up to try something else.

I don't want to come off sounding like I'm putting this sub down though. As I said previously, I haven't experienced this kind of bass before in anything less than $1000 at my two local hifi shops. Its just that after experiencing some of the $3000 subs there, I'm hoping for that same experience at 1/3 the price. I feel that I've achieved this type of value with my Ascend Acoustics 170s and $700 Outlaw Pre/Pro, I'm just looking for another value along these lines that meets my needs.

Oh, and two thumbs up on the BFD! What a great piece of gear for $100! Another stone-cold bargain.

Eagles: Hotel California DVD-A
    I dunno, but those kick-drums in "Hotel California" sound like elephant farts . Maybe it's just the mixing itself, but they sound god awful. The sub hits, sticks out in the room, and goes into a real low rumble. I'd appreciate if another AVS member who has this disc could take a listen and tell me what they here. Track 1.
    I do not have the DVD-A version, but I do have the "Hell Freezes Over" Live in DTS......have not listenned to it in a while, but the kick drums are incredible. I will popped it in when the kids are taking a bath.
    -curtis

I have HFO on CD, but I was just curious about the DVD-A studio version of the song Hotel California. Man the bass on that sounds terrible. I'm wondering if its the mixing/recording or my sub.

how does it compare to the track on the HFO CD? I wonder how the CD version differs from the DTS version.
    -curtis

LOL, ok let me try and be more clear.

There are...
    Hell Freezes Over (Live) DVD-V DD5.1
    Hell Freezes Over (Live) DVD-V DTS & DD5.1
    Hell Freezes Over (Live) DVD DTS5.1 (Audio Only)
    Hell Freezes Over (Live) CD 2ch

Hotel California (Studio) CD 2ch
    Hotel California (Studio) 5.1 DVD-A

"Hotel California" is also the name of one of their original albums (that also includes the song Hotel California. This original album was remixed into the 5.1 DVD-A format. Thats what I'm referring to with the elephant farts in Track 1, "Hotel California".

Dude...I am 40 years old.....born and raised in SoCal. I know the Eagles and Hotel California legacy very well.

What I am wondering is how does the 2 channel studio mix sound compared to the 5.1 DVD-A remix?

Now....I can't find my HFO disc!
    -curtis

the remix to 5.1 is are the same masters....so I am wondering if the elephant farting is in the 2-channel mix as well.
    -curtis

Yeah they use the same masters so I guess it should be similar. Its just that this is my first "real" sub at home, and have never heard the after effects of the kick drum hit I'm hearing now. I'm curious if this really sounds this crappy, or its the sub/setup. It sounds horrible

Listening to Phillip Glass' Koyannisqatsi belting out some real low notes with a pipe organ. The PB10 really does seem to struggle when I ask it to belt out these notes. Then again 90% of subs I've heard can't produce them at all. This is becoming a pain in the @$$...

PS>I don't have Hotel California on redbook, only Hell Freezes Over.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
    PS>I don't have Hotel California on redbook, only Hell Freezes Over.
    Oh....OK....that's my misunderstanding. Was hoping if we could make an educated guess that the 5.1 mix is funky.

From reading your thread on AVS, you are going to try the 16-46. With that, you will get your low bass, but I think you are going to loose your punch in the upper bass. It will be interesting to read your impressions.

You whole trial has been a great education for many that are following. We need to get you to try more things so we can continue to read your impressions.
    -curtis