Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Svs Pb10-isd

Hmmm, I'll have to check into that Curtis.

There is always the Craigsub method of running two Rocket UFW-10 for the articulated music bass and whatever deep bass sub he's playing with at the time. I forget how he limits the deep subs to below ~30-35Hz and sends the rest to the UFW-10s.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
    Hmmm, I'll have to check into that Curtis.
    Nicholas....do a search on HTF for more info. I have had two different SVS subs in my home...and two different Hsu subs.

FWIW, nobody runs their subs to max SPL all the time.

Heck...if you really want to save your money for a while...save for something like the ACI Maestro.
    -curtis

I think Nicholas needs to look into infinite baffle subs too. http://f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/

If you own your house and have a basement below or a attic above your listening space. I think it is the way for you to go. It will give you the depth and the speed you want at an affordable price.
    Last edited by Quinn; 03-28-2005 at 06:42 AM.

Quinn I live in a 1st floor apartment, but pretty much have the freedom to go as loud as I want a few hours in the evening, and all day on weekends. I usually keep peaks under 100dB anyways...

I think Nicholas needs to look into infinite baffle subs too. http://f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/

Thanks for the link, Quinn. I'm going to explore this route.

David

Nicholas, Nicholas, Nicholas, let me educate you on why you are not satisfied

The PB10 does not satisfy you because it does not have quite have the hardware to live up to the lofty ideals of very loud and clean low bass output. The PB10's tuning point is plenty low enough, ~18Hz-19Hz, so that is not the issue. The main issue is that low frequency output is limited by the 3" port, the 10" driver, and the amplifier limiter on the BASH amp. With the 3" (i.d.) port, port compression and port noise becomes an issue when the subwoofer is pushed at low frequencies. The 10" driver can only move so much air to contribute to low frequency output. The amp limiter allows one to crank up the volume without the driver bottoming, but limits some dynamics. Physics is not on your side unfortunately.

In my opinion, the PB10isd would have sounded better if they chose a higher tuning point. In aiming for extremely low frequency response, they were forced to limit the overall dynamics of the subwoofer. That is why it has no better dynamic output characteristics than other smaller and comparably priced subwoofers on the market over the 25-80Hz operating range.

From the commercial side, your best bet would be to scoop up a VTF-3HO when it is available. This is supposed to have double the output of a TN_1220_HO. The TN_1220_HO is tuned to slightly less than 18Hz according to the manual, and this is just about the perfect tuning frequency because pipe organ music tends not to have major fundamental frequencies below this. Forget about the 16Hz tuning or less idea. You would need a super expensive and super long excursion driver, and super large enclosure just to keep up with such a low tune, and even then it just would not pay off since source material tends not to go below 17Hz with any authority in the first place.

So the VTF-3HO should be tuned very near 18Hz, if not a little lower, and will be twice as good as the TN1220HO. The VTF-3 m2 might work well too, because it can be used with a *turbo* in development by Hsu Research. Turbo means maximum porting available in lowest tune. From a physics perspective towards moving air cleanly, that is awesome. Move from a VTF-3 m2 to a turbo m2, and you will probably double your clean low bass output. So a single VTF-3 m2 might not cut the mustard for you in lowest tune with only one 3" port available, but with a turbo it sure as hell would.

You can't go wrong building your own either, but it will be difficult for a DIY design to match the VTF-3HO *turbo* in the same size enclosure.

It says you need to isolate one side of the "bass wall" into another room. Guys, I live in an apartment..

I could see my landlords face when I ask him, "Yeah, I'd like to build in an infinite baffled subwoofer into my wall, or maybe the hallway. D'ya mind?"...

When is this "turbocharged" Hsu coming out? Is this going to be some electrically driven compressor? I love the words these subwoofer guys use... "Ultra" woofers and "turbocharged" subs. I oughtta make a Isotope U235 room destructor... pro.

Nicholas, Nicholas, Nicholas, let me educate you on why you are not satisfied

Peter? That you, Peter?

David

Who is Peter? Peter Piper picked a pack of...

The *turbo* is an external unit that attaches onto the rear ports of the sub. Port length is extended, box volume is increased, so now you have more porting at the lowest tune. This was all explained somewhere on another forum by some people who went to the Hsu Research booth at International exhibit.
    Last edited by Master Bass; 03-28-2005 at 09:57 AM.