Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Svs Pb10-isd

Nicholas, what type of floor does your room use? Concrete or wood? Don't think anyone has asked that yet.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Its an old victorian house. Wood.

When choosing a sub tuned very low, keep in mind that you are giving up substantial output to get those infrasonics.
    I realize this, but given my room volume of <1500ft^3, I'm figuring there must be a sub that meets my requirements of handling infrasonics with authority at around 75-80dB, hitting those devastating peaks, and playing clean up far enough to blend with my 170s.
    FWIW, a VTF-3MKII is flat to 18Hz anechoicly in max extension tune.
    I just don't think it will have the extension I'm looking for. It's not tuned for that type of extension from what I've read.
    The Hsu TN1220 is the best sub I have heard.....clean, well defined, and gets loowww. Dr. Hsu's philosophy is it has to sound good before playing low and loud. If either one compromises sound quality, it isn't worth it IMO.
    I've definetly been looking at the reviews for this sub, but can't seem to find it on their webpage
    Can you explain the craving for infrasonics?
    Listen to the Incredibles, 1812 Overture, most any pipe organ music, nukes, scenes in Lord of the Rings, etc with a sub that digs deep and then swap to one that struggles for 20Hz. The PB10 is the first sub I've heard under $1000 from playing at hifi shops that can belt out 86dB at 15Hz. Problem is I can tell its struggling when it does, and as I said, its a little muddy and draws attention to itself.
    "You need a bigger sub."
    I'm thinking that a sub that has a similar (or slightly deeper) tuning point with a larger driver and bigger amp won't struggle as much. But I do need to get a reasonably flat FR as well which the BFD should help me do from what others have recommended.

Nicholas....the VTF-3 is +-2dB at 18Hz in max extension mode, with useable output to 16Hz without room gain. When you say it is not tuned to "that type of extension" can you reference the information you are reading?

My room is larger than yours at just about 2100 cubic feet, and pipe organs at 16hz are fun...but I rarely go there. As for the Incredibles....do you have a graph of the information in the movie at 15Hz?
    -curtis

Unless your sub can't dig that deep, you don't need a FR readout to tell if there is Bass around 15Hz (you can feel it in your bones). I did a quick search and found this. Pixar has some damn-fantastic bass in their soundtracks and effects!
    http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth...55/Main/707339

Just looking at the dimensions of the VTF3 MKII and the fact that its "Max Extension" tuning mode is for 18-20Hz, I'm looking at other options that are tuned for 16Hz or less. As was said above, this really cuts down on the max SPLs in higher frequencies, but I can always add another sub to help this in the future if need be.

Still going to try the BFD on my PB10 before I make any decisions though. Personally I don't care who the sub is made by, Walmart (although very much unlikely ) or Havasvsahsu, so long as it gives me the response I'm looking for. Again though, the Bass is nothing without fantastic midbass, midrange, and upper frequencies wrought so perfectly by the Ascends!
    Last edited by Nicholas Mosher; 03-27-2005 at 02:49 PM.

"Still going to try the BFD on my PB10 before I make any decisions though."

The BFD is certain to smooth the FR but it's not going to do a thing about the bass you're looking for. The 10" SVS isn't capable of getting where you want to get. A sub tuned to 16hz, like the 16-46 is going to get you there. Physics is in the way of your goals and the PB10 and SVS will be the first to admit it.

David

OK....now I see what you are getting at.

How loud are those 15Hz signals?

Unless you go with a higher end sub, tuning to lower will likely to cause you to give something up in the higher bass.

Regardless if who makes the sub...you are going to want a bigger one to get what you are craving. Unless you spend the money on a higher end sub, I think you are going to lose out on quality of the bass just to get the lower bass.
    -curtis

...tuning to lower will likely to cause you to give something up in the higher bass.
    Absolutely true. In this case its maximum SPL in the mid-upper bass region, but a properly designed sub (which is what I'm paying for, any idiot can throw a driver in a box with an amp) should be just as clean in quality, and I expect it to be.

( any idiot can throw a driver in a box with an amp)

I'm still kicking around the idea of building my own sub so I take that personal.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
    Absolutely true. In this case its maximum SPL in the mid-upper bass region, but a properly designed sub (which is what I'm paying for, any idiot can throw a driver in a box with an amp) should be just as clean in quality, and I expect it to be.
    It isn't just maximum SPL in that region...and that is not from me, that is from others that have owned a variety of subs. If it was the case, then why does an Ultra sub and a Plus sub sound different even when tuned the same? The same goes for a 25-31PC+ vs a 16-46PC+ in the upper bass region...they do not sound the same, given the same SPL which is at neither of their limits.

You are interested in sound quality, and all I am saying is that you can't have your cake and eat it too unless you are willing to pay for it. There are trade-offs.
    -curtis