Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Svs Pb10-isd

nicholas,

your critique and trials merit auditioning a different sub.

thanks for sharing your experiences. i have enjoyed reading your thoughts and reviews over the past couple of weeks.

Its more noticeable in DVD-A/SACD because of the increased clarity/depth and the fact that 100% of my attention is on the audio. It does occur in movies though during serious bass scenes as I described above. Infrasonics are those frequencies that you feel inside you but can't hear. When I do frequency sweeps with the PB-10 you can begin to feel it around 22Hz, and during movies its that inaudible slam cannons and other big impacts make. I don't have any frequency tones burned to CD, but I can definetly feel the PB10 flirts with infrasonics. I'm going to try more room placements today.

Here is my hand drawn FR graph. Its not exponentially compressed either (take note of this when reading the upper frequencies). All of my readings were adjusted using the RS SPL meter table SVS provided. Plenty of Peaks/Nulls to tame, but still not enough oomph below 20Hz.

I wasn't feeling that inaudible bone marrow/soul moving sensation at the sub 20Hz infrasonics. You could feel it a tiny bit, but it wasn't anything powerful and dropped off quickly with each step down in frequency.

http://mysite.verizon.net/nicholasmosher/fr.JPG

You might need glasses for this one

EDIT: The link works off and on. My ISP sucks (verizon).

I'm working on a couple alternate placements recommended by Ron at SVS.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher

I'm working on a couple alternate placements recommended by Ron at SVS.
    Good. That's one ugly curve. Good luck. I went through something very similar two months ago.

David

Exclamation

Here's a link to an interesting PDF file about Sub Placement:
    DIYSubwooferCalibration

You may want to see if it gives you some ideas.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

I really doubt that pulling the sub out of the corner will do much for the infrasonics...if anything it'll degrade this area of the spectrum. Hopefully you will find a placement that will improve your response and quality overall. I'm starting to agree with the others...you need to audition a larger sub. Look at the Hsu VTF3MkII for musicality and "pantleg flapping" performance.

Randy

i notice a common trend w/ SVS subwoofers - a hump around the 20Hz region. not a bad thing, just an observation as claim to louder SPL in that region. in fact, i'd almost call it their signature really. they wouldn't be in business if they weren't satisfying customers. many many people like the SVS sound. it's also pretty cool to have direct contact with the folks that build these things. good luck getting that sort of help from a brand like paradigm.

Ron suggested I move the PB10-ISD next to my couch.
    Gain was increased to 75%. Recalibrated to +/- 1dB at 70dB with Avia.
    Here are the results...
    ***All readings were modified using SVS' RS SPL meter table***

http://mysite.verizon.net/nicholasmosher/room.jpg
    (Same deal... open/close/open/close to get them to work)

An SPL increase of 9dB at 15Hz, my first null moved forward in the FR, and response between 60-85Hz flattened out. I have a Huge 97.5dB peak at 20Hz...

The infrasonics are definetly better. I'm still getting some rumbling during intense bass sections on SACD, and the PB10 is sticking out during some intense passages. Running it -3dB down helps a bit, but then I lose impact.

Last time I looked at the clock it was 2pm... now it's 9pm?!

Wow! Huge gain with that near-field position. How do you like the sub positioned this close? I've tried this before but couldn't get used to it. Seemed I could easily localize the bass.

Randy

Wow! Huge gain with that near-field position. How do you like the sub positioned this close? I've tried this before but couldn't get used to it. Seemed I could easily localize the bass.

Randy

I had the same experience. Way too easy to localize the sound with the sub nearfield. It showed my why two subs separated can be a good way to go. That can introduce other problems but with EQ it is sometimes doable. My sub is now six feet from the listening position and localization is much more managable. I can still tell it's on the left but nowhere near to the extent when it was next to the couch.

David