Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Svs Pb10-isd

I just chatted via eMail/forum with Ron from SVS. I'll be upgrading my PB10-ISD to the 16-46 PC+. The PC-Ultra is only a couple hundred more, but Ed Mullen says it won't go deep with the same authority of the 16-46 PC+, even in 12Hz mode. Plus I'm pushing my budget for this upgrade as is... :B
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Stimpson from SVS
    The 16-46PC+ is deeper and far far more powerful than your PB10-ISD. Where the latter starts to compress a deep peak, the PC+ will slice right thru it. The low group delay and unstressed nature of a driver and amp and ports that are all loafing, instead of pressed to their limits will be revealing.
    My room places emphasis on the 50Hz+ frequencies, so I'm not too worried about not having enough peak headroom in that range. If anything I would be worried about that null my room creates between 35Hz and 45Hz. Given the fact that I'm going with a 2" larger driver with over 200W more power I'm not all that concerned...

We'll see though. As you can see I'm not one to fib about my experiences just because I dumped money into them. If I don't like it, I'll ship that one back too. I would like to note that SVS is going to pick up the return shipping costs on the PB10-ISD, something they don't have to do.

That's great...they have great customer service.

Eventhough I have had my run-ins with Ron and Tom, I know they make good products and put their heart and soul into their business.

Will they let you compare the two side by side before shipping one of them back? That will make it extremely easy for you to tell the differences then. I have been lucky enough to do that with 4 different subs in my home. Human sonic memory is terrible.

Remember something about wattage and amps...especially when it comes to subs. All things being equal, it take twice the amplifier wattage to get a 3dB increase in SPL. The bigger driver and enclosure are making much difference than the extra power with the 16-46.

Wish you lived closer....I'd be very tempted to haul over my VTF-3.

Looks like we have more good reading coming from you!
    -curtis

So far their customer service has been spectacular, just like Outlaw Audio's, and Ascend Acoustics'. Internet retailers have been spectacular. I can't say the same for Denon or Rotel...
    Will they let you compare the two side by side before shipping one of them back?
    I dunno. I really don't need to remember much. This sub simply doesn't have the authority over big hits, or the extension I'm looking for. The next one either will or it won't.

I'll definetly give my opinion of the next unit too.
    Off to bed for me... it's after 1am EST...

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
    So far their customer service has been spectacular, just like Outlaw Audio's, and Ascend Acoustics'. Internet retailers have been spectacular. I can't say the same for Denon or Rotel... I dunno. I really don't need to remember much. This sub simply doesn't have the authority over big hits, or the extension I'm looking for. The next one either will or it won't.

I'll definetly give my opinion of the next unit too.
    Off to bed for me... it's after 1am EST...
    Great....I will be very interested on your thoughts of the articulation and definition from the sub.

Hey wait a second...when do you start your new job? That is going to dig into your posting/testing time!
    -curtis

I'm still up...
    I have 2wks semi-retirement left.
    I start the 14th (a Thursday).
    I have to work days a couple weeks before I go on 2nd/3rd shift...

I hate getting up at 5am...

Great stuff, Nicholas. Based on your expressed needs/wants and budget, I think you're getting exactly the right unit in the 16-46 PC+. If it doesn't make you happy, I'm not sure what your alternatives would be.

Looking forward to your impressions...

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB
    16-46 PC+. If it doesn't make you happy, I'm not sure what your alternatives would be.

Looking forward to your impressions...
    That's easy. TWO 16-46 PC+'s.

David

Lightbulb

Nicholas, I'm glad to see you are going 'tubular' with the next sub. You'll take a step back when you get it unpacked. I just have the 25-31PC and it is pretty large as well (you can see what it looks like next to my 340s on my site), yours will be over a foot taller. At least it doesn't take up as much footprint, being only 16 inches around. Of course now, it won't only the landlord you need be concerned with, but the neighbors!
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    That's easy. TWO 16-46 PC+'s.

David
    Hahahaha... hopefully this will be the one...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bailey
    Nicholas, I'm glad to see you are going 'tubular' with the next sub. You'll take a step back when you get it unpacked. I just have the 25-31PC and it is pretty large as well (you can see what it looks like next to my 340s on my site), yours will be over a foot taller. At least it doesn't take up as much footprint, being only 16 inches around. Of course now, it won't only the landlord you need be concerned with, but the neighbors!
    Cool site Lee! I just boxed up the PB10-ISD and printed out the pre-paid UPS label SVS sent me. Going to drop it off at the UPS store tomorrow then call up SVS and pay the difference+shipping for the 16-46 PC+. I can't wait to try this one!

Just talked to Erik at SVS, he told me to call back in a few days once they receive it. Then they will credit my account, charge me for the new sub, and ship out my 16-46 PC+. I'll probably get it sometime next week.

Oh the waiting...

I just got a butt-load of DVD-As and SACDs in the mail today though...