Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DVD-A vs SACD

Nicholas,

Thanks for introducing me to Diana Krall. I've never heard of her before so I went to Amazon.com and listened to the sample tracks. The sound quality of those samples is not great but enough to tell she has a great voice!

I ordered the cd version of "Love Scenes" as I don't have DVD-A or SACD capabilities.

Thanks!

- Ron.

No prob debron! Hope you enjoy the CD!

Btw guys, here are my reviews on my latest titles (copied from another forum I post on)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
    Just ordered a couple more titles tonight on Amazon...

Queen: A Night at the Opera, DVD-A
    Immersion, DVD-A
    Please, PLEASE, save your money and don't order either of these. Immersion has got to be the biggest waste of money I have ever encountered. My Denon 2900 even has some trouble playing tracks 3 & 4. Most of the tracks are simply loops of distortion and pink noise. The only reason why I know this isn't simply a bug is that they'll have a nice clean sound of the ocean in the background or clear sound effects. Its not artful use of distortion/noise either (like Moby or Blue Man Group). What trash!!!

Queen: A Night at the Opera isn't as bad, but its very poorly mixed. Another one of those 5ch mixes that seem to be just a 2ch mix with matrixed surrounds. Then they just throw random things in the surrounds. The drums come out all five channels (WTF?) quite often. Chorus/backup swaps between surround and front mains in the same song? Nothing involving or spacious about it and very gimicky.

Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture SACD
    A Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas SACD
    Berlioz Requiem SACD
    LAGQ: Latin SACD
    Dupre, Franck & Widor SACD

Again, I'm blown away with everything Telarc puts out!

While I can't enjoy most of these to their fullest without my soon to be delivered subwoofer, they are still spectacular even in 5.0.

Berlioz Requiem is so deep and involving I sat through the entire 78min performance. I was absolutely exhausted by the end of it there is so much to absorb at once. Almost fitting the story, I started around sunset and finished in the dark twilight hours. Incredible!

Dupre~Franck~Widor was completely enveloping. Excellent use of all 5 channels. I can't wait until I get my sub for this one. The shear size and output of the organ and cathedral is conveyed quite vividly even without a sub.

1812 Overture will be much more fun with the sub...
    A definite thumbs up on this performance though, as well as the 6 other Tchaikovsky works.

I'm just getting into the LAGQ: Latin and listened to Carol of the Bells on the Mormon Tabernacle disc. These also seem very promising.
    Last edited by Nicholas Mosher; 04-07-2005 at 08:34 AM.

You like these discs now, you'll be blown away when you get a good subwoofer!

I've read on other forums that Dire Straits' "Brothers in Arms" is being released as a m/c SACD May 9th! http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=15140897
    "same as it ever was"

Nicholas,

Did you try Buena Vista Social Club, the DVD-A version? This mix is awsome especially the 3rd track where the music, drum play back & forth between the front and surround. It really creates an illusion that you are sitting in the middle of the band and the musicians are playing around you.