Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 340M & 340C Review

Default 340M & 340C Review

I thought I'd post my thougts in this forum as well as the other, so that anyone that doesn't want to sift through all of the threads ahs easy access.

I honestly don't even know what to say. I'm utterly stunned. Even with all of the hype on this site, I was not fully prepared for how good these speakers were going to sound. This is the best purchases I have ever made for my home audio/video set up. Let me start with this: My daughter finally let me have the room back, so I auto - EQ'd the speakers with my Pioneer Elite receiver's MCACC. I know some of you don't care for auto set ups, but this one nails it every time. I go in and make a couple of preferential tweaks, but nothing major at all. As a matter of fact, I could leave it alone and it would be fine. I just like to mess with stuff.

I haven't watched anything yet, so I can't comment on the movie preformance, but let me tell you, right out of the box these things are phenomenal. I can't believe how the soudstage totally blends and completely disappears. I had my wife come in and sit in my seat (the best spot of course). I asked her where she thought Dave Matthew's voice was coming from and she pointed to the center channel speaker. I'm listening to 2 channel stereo with a sub. I am in total awe. So I've been listening to everything from Danzig to Bob Dylan, to Kay's Choice...on and on. I like to think I have a pretty diverse taste in music. Anyway, like I said before, I won't do a technical review, because I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, but I do know good sound, and I know what I like. Earlier I mentioned doing some A/B testing with my Paradigm LCR 350's; I'm not going to bother, it's not even close. The Ascend 340's completely blow them away. The mids and highs are absolutely crystal clear. The Paradigms were much more muddy sounding by comparison. As a matter of fact, the Paradigms sounded like crap by comparison. At one point I turned the volume up to a level where the Paradigms distorted and were obviously struggling to keep up, and the Acends were flawless, I mean perfection. And I'm talking about a volume that almost makes your eyes water. It was very loud, way beyond normal listening, and these things were absolutely vivid. I can't even believe it. I'm literally sitting here shaking my head. I am very glad that I went for the 340's instead of the 170's. Not that I think the 170's are bad, I've never heard them, but I won't ever wonder what if. I definitely made the right choice. I don't ever remeber being this satisfied with a purchase, best money I've spent in a long, long, time. So my kudos to Dave and everyone else at Ascend. Thank you for making a great product and selling it at an unbelievable price. One of the professional reviews I read was dead nuts on, when it said that these speakers could sell for $800-$1000 and still be a good value.

Did I mention that I am completely awestruck. I bet by the look on my face you would have though that (insert your opinion of the hottest woman on earth) had just asked me out. Of course to me, that's my wife (in case she ever reads this).

One Word - Awesome!!!

Congrats again on purchase. As one of the people who recommended the Ascends I'm very happy to read that they are to your liking. I often hesitate giving advice on-line as speakers can be so subjective. However, these Ascends make it really easy as I have never heard a speaker at the price point of the Ascend sound even close to what these can produce.

As mentioned in the other thread - unless your money tree starts producing, stay away from Universal players for now

Thanks for the advice Kap...definitely well received. I couldn't be happier. I'm going to watch some movies this weekend, and report back my thoughts on the 340 performance there as well. I have been listening to so much music these past few days it's ridiculous. I was listening to "Romeo and Juliet" by Dire Straits, and I thought I had a problem, this strange ticking sound coming from the left speaker. I was in a total panic for about 12 seconds, until I realised it was Mark Knopfler's pick hitting the strings of his guitar...very cool.

It's not so much the cost of the unit that is prohibiting me from going to SACD/DVD-A, it's all the media that I don't have which goes up from $15. I won't listen to the same stuff over and over again for very long, so the heck with it for now. Besides, I am having a blast with what I already have...I have to take a break from upgrading after my new sub arrives. I took a chance on an EQ Kompressor S12...got it for $380 shipped. I'm anxious to integrate that into the setup.

Thanks Again Kap.

I'd just like to add a few comments after having the speakers for about 4 days now. I have listened to a lot of music and I have now had the chance to watch a couple of movies. I think I covered my opinion as far as music, but I wanted to add that these speakers are almost too revealing. Some recordings are just simply trash. As for MP3's or downloaded music, forget cranking it up, it sounds terrible on the Ascends. Obviously this isn't the speaker's fault, it's the recording, the speakers just let me know how bad it is. I was surprised by this because my Paradigms never showed me anything close to this level of detail. I have some really great recordings as well, which sound absolutely amazing. DMB live at Redrocks for example; I think that's a great recording, and I also like to use it as a musical demo. There are a few songs that are preceeded by or contain within them some hellacious drum solo's, and the 340's kept up like it was their job...wait a minute, nevermind. And "Along the Watchtower," when Tim Reynolds breaks out into his guitar solo, it's so damn crisp. I love being able to hear the picks hitting the strings. As for the imaging, forget it, these things are outstanding. When I would listen to music with my Paradigms, I would have to listen for a while, and almost convince myself that the voicing was coming from the center of the soundstage. The 340's out of the box were perfect.

Now for movies - Again, I am extremely impressed. There are a lot of details that I didn't realize I was missing out on (again with the detail thing). Small things, like people off to the left or right speaking, although I don't know what they're saying, I can hear them; I couldn't before. Dialogue is much more pronounced, and clearer from the center. I'm not sure what else to say as far as movies go. The Ascends handle all the material I've watched very well. Again, to me it's a detail thing. I like the fact that I am hearing things that I haven't before, it's great. I have watched mostly dialogue intense movies, as opposed to SciFi or special effects movies, because to me, my Paradigms were lacking in the center area, and I wanted to see how much better it would get with the 340's. With the Paradigms, I was constantly rewinding and turning up the volume. I don't have to do that anymore, which is great, because sometimes I'd forget to turn it down and something would explode or there'd be some intense action scene, and I would get blown out of my chair.

All is going very well, I am enjoying my new speakers very much. I now say with the utmost confidence that purchasing the Ascends was the best upgrade I have made to my HT setup. Who knew speakers were so important...

Good write-up Bri.

"As for the imaging, forget it, these things are outstanding. When I would listen to music with my Paradigms, I would have to listen for a while, and almost convince myself that the voicing was coming from the center of the soundstage. The 340's out of the box were perfect."

Imaging was the first thing that I noticed when I set up my 340's. I have a pair of Mission 761's that image fine in my study but when they were my main's in the HT, they just couldn't get the job done. I know other speakers could have done the job as well. They just would have cost lots more. Welcome to the club.

David

I tend to be one of those people that reaches the point of diminishing return very quickly. I prefer to call it frugal. If I were to replace my Ascends with something that cost 4 or five times as much, they better do my laundry, dust themselves off, and set themselves up with no help from me whatsoever. And I have to say, I actually like the look. I have heard some people say that they aren't as fancy as... or they don't look as good as... I like their plainness, it adds to their In Your Faceness!! Nothing better than the Surprise factor. And come on, that black vinyl wood crap is ridiculous anyway. We all know it's vinyl, why try pretend it's wood. At least Dave and co. call a spade a spade. And hey, if you want a better finish, you can pay for it...just like with everyone else's speakers.

Awesome!
    I definetly think the Ascends are one of the best values today in home audio.

Glad to hear you have also discovered these gems...

Hi Bri1270!

I am so very glad you are enjoying the speakers!

Quote Originally Posted by bri1270
    Did I mention that I am completely awestruck. I bet by the look on my face you would have though that (insert your opinion of the hottest woman on earth) had just asked me out.
    Well... I don't know if I would go that far... I might be able to think of perhaps 1 or 2 women that could take my mind off loudpeakers instantly..

So my kudos to Dave and everyone else at Ascend. Thank you for making a great product and selling it at an unbelievable price. One of the professional reviews I read was dead nuts on, when it said that these speakers could sell for $800-$1000 and still be a good value.
    You are very welcome, and thank YOU for giving us your consideration and for posting your thoughts.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

And I have to say, I actually like the look. I have heard some people say that they aren't as fancy as... or they don't look as good as... I like their plainness, it adds to their In Your Faceness!! Nothing better than the Surprise factor. And come on, that black vinyl wood crap is ridiculous anyway. We all know it's vinyl, why try pretend it's wood. At least Dave and co. call a spade a spade. And hey, if you want a better finish, you can pay for it...just like with everyone else's speakers.
    i like how they look, it's exactly what i want. i want my speakers to blend into the darkness when i'm watching a movie.
    powdered toast man away!

I just wanted to update this with a couple of comments.

1. I'm still amazed at how great these sound

2. I can't believe what I paid for these

3. I was playing them at 105dBA with no distortion - and I was listening to Disturbed. I'm sure they would have played much louder, because they weren't straining a bit, but my ears wouldn't let me.

4. I have placed them in cabinets in the wall, and it had no ill effect on the sound!! Can you believe that sh*& ??

5. Still the best purchase I've made for my HT/Stereo. Looking at the 200's to replace my Paradigm Monitor 3's for my rear channels.