Thread: Friday Night Lights

Default Friday Night Lights

I liked this one....I give it a 7.5/10.

Is Texas high school football as huge as the movie depicts?
    -curtis

Default HS Football

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I feel pretty confident saying that I doubt they over-played the significance of HS football in the south. We Southerners tend to take such things VERY seriously. School schedules are created and modified based on football season, money is very dependant on the success or failure of the team, etc... So, in other words, we have lots of fun! I hope to see the movie soon and will be sure to offer my .02!

Graham

"Is Texas high school football as huge as the movie depicts?"

Would you like steroids with that?

David

I some places, yes! You can find high schools with over 6,000 students. Because if they built another school and split the students they may no longer be a football power.

e.g. Converse, TX - Judson High School (my Alma Mater).

i saw this the other day. i liked that it was different than most movies in this genre. more of a realistic approach. i think it has some accurate depections of how some people get so carried away with high school sports.

Thumbs up

Two thumbs up from my wife and myself - we watched it last night. She even cried two or three times - in her case a definite sign of approval!

The movie is good, but they depart from the truth somewhat to make the story more exciting and dramatic. The book is better, and deals with the social and economic issues in Odessa much moreso than the movie. If you like to read, and you liked the movie, get the book.

Interestingly, the "state final game" against Dallas-Carter wasn't the state final, or played in the Astrodome. It was the semis, played in Austin Memorial Stadium. Carter went on to win the final on the field, but were forced to forfeit due to a massive grade fixing scandal. Also, the game against Permian was 14-9, not the more dramatic 34-28.
    -Jim

Default Re: Friday Night Lights

I just do not see how anyone who did not read the book could follow the story at all. The book was so watered down, and the story is almost unrecognizable. We saw precious little of Booby miles complexity or the pressures around him over which he had no control.And the other players their personal lives were so affected by what happened that single season, and it was pretty much.

Default Re: Friday Night Lights

I have seen this and the thing is that I want to say you that the plot is great variability in the course of the season, and the characters have shown tremendous growth. I like the over all story as well as also the role played by their characters.