Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Pioneer 1014 with ascends?

And here's another idea from Dolby on using a corner layout. Of course, this would take some planning and approval from those you live with.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Lee...I love in your illustration where it says "My Seat".
    -curtis

So, ABHI, did you pull the trigger on the 1014? I'm in similar position (set of 4x 170s + 340c + vtf2 sub) & wanna know your impression.

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    So, ABHI, did you pull the trigger on the 1014? I'm in similar position (set of 4x 170s + 340c + vtf2 sub) & wanna know your impression.
    Welcome to the forum BGHD!

I haven't yet pulled the trigger on 1014. I'm still experimenting with different locations for the best possible sound with my current receiver. There are quite a few members on this forum who are using Pioneer receivers (including 1014) with ascends with very good results.

Sometime this week I'll visit best buy. They have 20% off (with coupon) on open-box HT components till 05/07/05.
    Last edited by Abhi; 04-12-2005 at 02:50 PM.

Default Got rid of all the electronics and speakers...

This is how I did it!!
    Finally I rearranged the setup in my living room. Now my front speakers are about 3 1/2 ' from the side walls and I toed them slightly. I took advantage of the sloping ceiling so that the reflections from the ceiling hit the rear wall (instead of the listening spot). The subwoofer found a new location .This time I avoided "keep-anywhere-and-equalize-it" approach for the sub (I still use BFD to fine tune the sub's response). The result: My Denon is now singing with the ascends! :-) In 2-ch mode, the speakers totally dissapear and the whole space (and even beyond the walls boundaries) turns into a huge soundstage! WOW!!! I hear a lot more nuances in the music. I didn't know that "Come away with me" (Norah Jones) had that perpetuating synthesized background sound!! I haven't yet hooked up the surrounds though. The opening score of Apollo13 made me speechless! Finally I could get rid of all the electronics and speakers, and brought the artists in my own living room!!

So the best ever upgrade (after ascends) for me is to understand the room behavior and rearrange the setup! Believe me, it's a night and day difference! I am still not using absorbers(or for that matter even draperies). I feel that there is still a slight flutter (no space between my sofa and the rear wall). This can be easily cured by hanging some heavy drapery on the rear wall.

More than a year ago when I got my ascends and hooked them up I said "wow"! Now after rearranging the setup I am short of words expressing the emotion. Kudos to Ascend Acoustics!!

This topic started with pioneer/ascend combo. Should I buy the pio? I don't know! But I'll give it a try later than sooner!! Will equalization help the sound? YES, but only after you got rid of those unwanted reflections to a greater degree.

My advise: Please please please understand the room acoustics and put it in action before upgrading the gear. There is plenty of info available on the Net.

Quote Originally Posted by Abhi
    This is how I did it!!
    So the best ever upgrade (after ascends) for me is to understand the room behavior and rearrange the setup!
    My advise: Please please please understand the room acoustics and put it in action before upgrading the gear. There is plenty of info available on the Net.
    Since our listening position is up against the rear wall, I've been looking into ways to make everything work without a large outlay of cash. I brought it up to my wife that a tapastry on the wall would really improve the looks of the room (crafty, heh?). She thought about it and said she'd knit a thick tapastry herself. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this marriage thing.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    Since our listening position is up against the rear wall, I've been looking into ways to make everything work without a large outlay of cash. I brought it up to my wife that a tapastry on the wall would really improve the looks of the room (crafty, heh?). She thought about it and said she'd knit a thick tapastry herself. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this marriage thing.
    David
    Ha ha !! David, when I rearranged the setup my wife said, "The old placement looked better. Could you undo this?" Instantly I popped up some of her favourite CDs and played them. Issue resolved! Now I need to talk her into the curtain-on-wall topic!
    Last edited by Abhi; 04-14-2005 at 12:43 PM.