Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer 1014 with ascends?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I think what I am trying to say is 4dB is a lot.....and going from one receiver to another is not going to vary that much....and Denon is not known to be that bright.
    Thanks Curtis!! Denon 2802 does not have room correction. Pioneer 1014 is less expensive ( don't like the word "cheaper"! :-)) than Denon 2805 or HK 635 and has MCACC. My denon's treble control is, correct me if I'm wrong, at 10kHz. If I have a room gain of 2 db in nearby frequencies, then 4 db cut is compensating for that gain, but it's bringing down 10kHz by 4 dbs which is a lot! It's just an example.

On a side note (for anyone who wants to match denon with ascends): Denon/Ascend set up is very nice. It gave me many jaw dropping moments on DVDs as well as goosebump moments on music. In my case I have to tone down the treble. YMMV.

Remember...that tone control is a "primitive" form of room correction.

I am not sure what bandwidth the tone control works in.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by cestlavie
    The sound on the Elite is amazing, it's very clear, and neutral, and seperates frequencies quite well, IMHO I think it would be a perfect match. I haven't used them with ascends yet, though I have a pair coming, and have only tried the 56txi with my roommates Missions, polks, and energy sub, and the differences between that and his current receiver (a panosonic) were night and day, almost all aspects of it were improved, and add to that MACC capability and you have a pretty well calibrated system.
    Thanks C'est for the reply! Good to know that you like the pioneer. How would you categorize it? analytical/grainy OR smooth/warm?. I hope pio would be a great match for ascends. Please post your impressions when you mate ascends with the pioneer.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Remember...that tone control is a "primitive" form of room correction.
    Yes Curtis, there you go! You summarized it in one line!

Default graphicguy, airs??

Few weeks ago Graphicguy and CenterForAnts (avsforum member) replied to another post of mine on AVSForum stating that pioneer/ascend combo is very nice. Just want to probe more before pulling the trigger on pioneer 1014.

Graphicguy, airs, any comments? Are you on this forum CenterForAnts?
    Last edited by Abhi; 03-10-2005 at 06:49 PM.

Like Cestlavie, I have the big brother to the 1014, a 54tx. I love the Pioneer/Ascend combo. Both the 54tx and 56txi have a slightly more advanced MCACC setup, but the 1014 is still very good. The difference between the 1014 and Elite line is less pronounced than between the 1014 and 914 and below. It's a great receiver.

Regardless, like Curtis I would question whether or not switching to the 1014 would make a dramatic difference. Best Buy has a decent return policy. You can get it from them for $399 by price matching J&R if it's not currently on sale. Try it out, set it up properly with MCACC and see if you like what you hear. If you don't, you can always return it.
    -Jim

Thanks jimsiff!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Abhi
    Few weeks ago Graphicguy and CenterForAnts (avsforum member) replied to another post of mine on AVSForum stating that pioneer/ascend combo is very nice. Just want to probe more before pulling the trigger on pioneer 1014.

Graphicguy, airs, any comments? Are you on this forum CenterForAnts?
    abhi, it's me CFA...yes I have my Pio 1014 mated with a pair of 170s up front, the 340c, 200s as surrounds, very neutral sound, definitely more detailed than a pair of floorstanding infinity spkrs that i junked. my svs pb10 is more than plenty and deep to cover my low-end needs. the 1014's auto-mcacc is very very helpful and user-friendly. i doubt there's anything out there in its price range that can compete as far as features/room calibrator, PLIIx, et al. good luck!

Lightbulb

How close to the side walls are your speakers? Have you ever tried finding and treating the reflection points on your walls? Not to say that the Pioneer would not be worth it, it's an expensive way to see if you can fix what may be an acoustics problem with your room. I own a Denon 3803, it has no auto equalizer either, but I do not experience the brightness problem you describe with my 340's. To find your reflection points along a wall, you just need an assistant and a mirror. Simply sit down in your listening sweet spot, and have the assistant move the mirror along the wall in your direction at the tweeter's height until you see the speaker closet to that wall. Mark that area with tape. Now keep moving the mirror until you see the opposite speaker. Mark that area. If you have a center channel, you can mark the wall where you see it in the mirror as well. Repeat the procedure for the opposite wall. If those areas you marked are bare, or there's glass or some other relflective surface there, temporarily hang something like a large towel or some other obsorbing soft material on the walls. See what that does to your treble.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Lee...that is so cool!! I never knew or thought of that!
    -curtis