Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer 1014 with ascends?

Default Pioneer 1014 with ascends?

I have 5 CBM-170s and .1 VTF-2. Has anyone been using Pioneer 1014 with ascends? I know describing sound is the hard part, but how does the combo sound, in terms of soundstage depth, imaging, BRIGHTNESS etc.? How does it stack up against HK/Ascend combo? I'm currently running my ascends through denon 2802.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Abhi; 03-10-2005 at 03:42 PM.

Default Me too!

I'm interested in the answer to this same question, though I'm in the opposite position. I just got a 1014 and am planning on getting Ascends as soon as I can...

Quote Originally Posted by Abhi
    I have 5 CBM-170s and .1 VTF-2. Has anyone been using Pioneer 1014 with ascends? I know describing sound is the hard part, but how does the combo sound, in terms of soundstage depth, imaging, BRIGHTNESS etc.? How does it stack up against HK/Ascend combo? I'm currently running my ascends through denon 2802.
    Thanks!
    What's wrong with your 2802?
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Default Pioneer 1014 + ascends

Well...I'm by no means as big of an audiophille as some of you are but, I do have a Pioneer Elite 56txi, which is the bigger brother to the 1014, which I believe is something like an Elite 52 minus a few functions. The sound on the Elite is amazing, it's very clear, and neutral, and seperates frequencies quite well, IMHO I think it would be a perfect match. Being more well versed in car audio then home audio, my current headunit in my car is a clarion joyride, which has many similar features to home theater receivers but is nowhere near as functional, coupled with some cdt speakers, which produces a neutral sound, if that helps establish a benchmark. I haven't used them with ascends yet, though I have a pair coming, and have only tried the 56txi with my roommates Missions, polks, and energy sub, and the differences between that and his current receiver (a panosonic) were night and day, almost all aspects of it were improved, and add to that MACC capability and you have a pretty well calibrated system.

Just my 2 hope that helped somewhat,
    C'est

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bailey
    What's wrong with your 2802?
    Nothing major, but I have to tone down the treble by 4db otherwise it becomes annoying. Don't get me wrong. Denon is a fine amp. It has full detailed rich upper bass and mids. But I hate to use the tone control to reduce the brightness in the upper freqs. The bass is good but could have been tighter. Moreover, the newer amps have more to offer in terms of calibration.

Lets be careful here.

How do you know the Pioneer will sound different than the Denon? Have you tried your Ascends with different equipment?

Ascends are not "bright" speakers, but if you have to turn down the treble by 4dB, maybe you would like a speaker that has rolled off highs.
    -curtis

a 4dB adjustment is pretty dramatic for a treble setting.
    is this 4dB adjustment global? meaning -4dB for DVD, TV, etc.?
    are you running the current denon 2802 w/ any sort of pre/post processing of the signal? implementing any sort of surround DSP?

Thanks curtis!
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    How do you know the Pioneer will sound different than the Denon?
    I don't know and trying to find out from other people's experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Ascends are not "bright" speakers, but if you have to turn down the treble by 4dB, maybe you would like a speaker that has rolled off highs.
    I didn't mean to say Ascends are bright neither am I looking for ascend alternatives. :-) I am a proud owner of ascends for more than a year. I said I have to turn the treble down on my denon. It could be the room response, could be the electronics.....My denon (2802) does not have room correction and I have to use tone control to compensate for the brightness (which maybe a result of room gain) and I hate to do it because tone controls cannot compensate the room gains correctly.

Having said that, I am looking for budget alternatives on electronics side. HK/ascend combo is very popular. My original question: How would pioneer 1014 sound with ascends? Compared to HK/ascends?
    Last edited by Abhi; 03-10-2005 at 05:23 PM.

I think what I am trying to say is 4dB is a lot.....and going from one receiver to another is not going to vary that much....and Denon is not known to be that bright.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by metalaaron
    is this 4dB adjustment global? meaning -4dB for DVD, TV, etc.?
    are you running the current denon 2802 w/ any sort of pre/post processing of the signal? implementing any sort of surround DSP?
    The setting is global. It made the DVDs and CDs sound fleshed out with more detail. The sound is more involving now. It's not just me, but wife and friends like it this way. Without this setting, it sounds brighter and loses the sweetness. As I mentioned it could be the room gain. I'm gonna need to measure the response curve.