Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just Placed My order

oh yeah, one more thing...12 more hours and my speaker will be in my hands and probably set up (depends on when I get home from work today).

You're not coming home early to greet your new housemates? You are dedicated.

David

Well...I actually realized that I have to visit with a customer at 1:00 EST, and they just so happen to be down the street from where I live, which is about 35 minutes from the office...looks like I'll work from home for the rest of the afternoon...

okay, I'm at work, and they've been delivered...I have to get out of here.

okay, I got home, and my house was full. My mother, two sisters, my aunt and my mother-in-law were all here. I was not all that happy, especially considering that I had to walk past my speakers on the way into the house. (they were in the mud room)

Okay - first impressions - Nice packaging, no damage to the boxes, and the speakers were very neatly wrapped as I am sure all of you know. A little smaller than I thought they'd be, I measured my old speakers (Paradigm LCR 350's x 3) and I thought they'd be about the same size. The 340's are close, but not as wide or as deep. Not huge deal, just an observation. Nice solid build. I actually quite like the black finish. I prefer it over the fake black wood look. Everything seems very solid from the enclosure to the binding posts. Grill cloth feels nice, but seems a but flimsy - again, not a huge deal. So I set them up, got them all positioned, and I was ready to EQ them when...In walks my 1 1/2 year old saying, "Daddy, Mesame...," over and over again. I hate to say this, but both my wife and I got a huge laugh out of it. The very first thing played on my new set of 340's was Sesame Street. I'm sure you other father's know how hard it can be to say no, Daddy's playing with his new toys, and you need to leave. So I sucked it up and let her watch her video - which coincidentally just ended. I will EQ, have a listen, do some A/B-ing with the Paradigms, and I will report back either tonight or tomorrow morning.

I honestly don't even know what to say. I'm utterly stunned. Even with all of the hype on this site, I was not fully prepared for how good these speakers were going to sound. This is the best purchases I have ever made for my home audio/video set up. Let me start with this: My daughter finally let me have the room back, so I auto - EQ'd the speakers with my Pioneer Elite receiver's MCACC. I know some of you don't care for auto set ups, but this one nails it every time. I go in and make a couple of preferential tweaks, but nothing major at all. As a matter of fact, I could leave it alone and it would be fine. I just like to mess with stuff.

I haven't watched anything yet, so I can't comment on the movie preformance, but let me tell you, right out of the box these things are phenomenal. I can't believe how the soudstage totally blends and completely disappears. I had my wife come in and sit in my seat (the best spot of course). I asked her where she thought Dave Matthew's voice was coming from and she pointed to the center channel speaker. I'm listening to 2 channel stereo with a sub. I am in total awe. So I've been listening to everything from Danzig to Bob Dylan, to Kay's Choice...on and on. I like to think I have a pretty diverse taste in music. Anyway, like I said before, I won't do a technical review, because I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, but I do know good sound, and I know what I like. Earlier I mentioned doing some A/B testing with my Paradigm LCR 350's; I'm not going to bother, it's not even close. The Ascend 340's completely blow them away. The mids and highs are absolutely crystal clear. The Paradigms were much more muddy sounding by comparison. As a matter of fact, the Paradigms sounded like crap by comparison. At one point I turned the volume up to a level where the Paradigms distorted and were obviously struggling to keep up, and the Acends were flawless, I mean perfection. And I'm talking about a volume that almost makes your eyes water. It was very loud, way beyond normal listening, and these things were absolutely vivid. I can't even believe it. I'm literally sitting here shaking my head. I am very glad that I went for the 340's instead of the 170's. Not that I think the 170's are bad, I've never heard them, but I won't ever wonder what if. I definitely made the right choice. I don't ever remeber being this satisfied with a purchase, best money I've spent in a long, long, time. So my kudos to Dave and everyone else at Ascend. Thank you for making a great product and selling it at an unbelievable price. One of the professional reviews I read was dead nuts on, when it said that these speakers could sell for $800-$1000 and still be a good value.

Did I mention that I am completely awestruck. I bet by the look on my face you would have though that (insert your opinion of the hottest woman on earth) had just asked me out. Of course to me, that's my wife (in case she ever reads this).

One Word - Awesome!!!

Cool.

I think I'm starting to get an itchy trigger finger.

Must......put......credit.........card.........awa y

I'm still saving up.

Quote Originally Posted by bri1270
    Even with all of the hype on this site, I was not fully prepared for how good these speakers were going to sound.
    That's because it's not hype. The Ascend crowd is pretty understated and knows what they have.

Atleast you did say, " I can't wipe the smile off my face." ....hehehe
    -curtis

I can't help it Curtis, I am natural born skeptic. You know..."if it sounds too goo to be true..." Of course I was pleasantly mistaken, which doesn't happen very often.

Oh, I'm still smiling I just didn't mention it because you asked me not to.

I don't care if you say how much your smiling. It was bikeman that ask for something more.

Glad you are happy with them.
    -curtis