Thread: VTF-2 vs the VTF-3

Default VTF-2 vs the VTF-3

Hello all, been lurking on the forums for a few weeks now because I'm planning on buying a HT system from Ascend in the next month. I am planing on the 340's front and center, with a pair of 170's for rear surround. I am, however, have trouble deciding on which sub to get. I'm leaning toward the VTF-2, but I'm wondering if I should spend the extra $200 and get the VTF-3. Is there a big difference in overall sound quality? Most of my listening will be music (70/30), really only want something to flesh out the music accurately with the occasion thump for a movie. The main types of music I listen to are Rock/Techno/Classical.

One other question while I'm here. Anyone in or near Boise, ID have the 340's willing to setup an Audition?

Thanks!
    Zac

Both subs sound superb. The larger can reach a little lower and play louder. How big is your room?

Here is what some wisemen told me when I was getting my sub: "If you can afford the bigger one, and don't have issue with its size, then get it."
    -curtis

I own the VTF3/MK2 and it is a great sub. The VTF3/Mk2 is alot of sub if you are just interested in fleshing out the bottom end. I think the VTF2 would be great for your needs but as Curtis says if you don't mind the extra bucks you can't go wrong going larger.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Both subs sound superb. The larger can reach a little lower and play louder. How big is your room?

Here is what some wisemen told me when I was getting my sub: "If you can afford the bigger one, and don't have issue with its size, then get it."
    I had a not so wise man tell me to buy the 3 regardless if I could afford it. I'll probably follow his advice.

David

I'd personally buy more sub than I think I'd ever need, rather than buy enough sub and hope I never need more.

The room these are going into is 21' x 13' x 8'. Buying bigger makes sense, but I'm living in a town house, and my neighbor might not appreciate the 12' sub. I suppose I could always turn it down until I buy another house. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll definitely take it into consideration when I make my purchase.

Go for the gusto. You live there now, but who's to say what could happen a year or two down the road. I live in an apartment right now, but went total overkill (for me in an apartment) with my system. Whenever my wife and I get a house, I'll already have everything I need without having to worry about spending money on gear right when we get in the new place.
    - EVH III