Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: My BFD experience.

Hey Eddie...by the time you move into the new house, maybe Hsu will be ready with this technology....
    http://hsuresearch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1517
    -curtis

Yeah, it'll be just another step in the ever present upgrade cycle.
    - EVH III

Ok, after six filters and a lot of tweaking, here's where I stand. These levels have been corrected for the Rat Shack meter, so they are accurate.
    16Hz - 79.5
    20Hz - 79
    22Hz - 78.5
    25Hz - 81
    28Hz - 79
    31.5Hz - 78
    36Hz - 80.5
    40Hz - 80.5
    45Hz - 79
    50Hz - 80.5
    56Hz - 81.5
    63Hz - 81.5
    71Hz - 80.5
    80Hz - 79.5
    89Hz - 80.5
    100Hz - 81
    These measurements are with my mains playing and crossed at 80Hz. Talk about a seamless integration. I may bump the sub up to where it's about 3-4dB hot. I'm used to the way it was, so now it sounds too quiet even though it's even with the mains. I may also experiment with a "house curve" with a rising response from about 36Hz down to 16Hz and see what happens. There's a part of me that doesn't want to mess with it any further for fear that things could only go bad from here. It's almost perfect where it is, so I may just bump up the overall volume about 4dB and call it quits until we move.
    - EVH III

Wow....that is great.

Come out to California and you can do the same for my setup!
    -curtis

That looks really good. I've thought about doing this a number of times, but I've been afraid I wouldn't get good results (i.e. I wouldn't do it right...) Wasting money isn't high on my list of activities, but results like that would definitely be worth that much and more.

Doh, I wasn't paying attention and created a new thread with Curtis' link in the other area - oh well.

It looks like you have an excellent new response.

For me, the best way was the way Sonnie Parker and Wayne Pflughaupt suggested. Start two or three broad filters and then come back with a couple more to tweak things. If you start with a bunch of really narrow filters, it just doesn't seem to ever want to get right. That was my experience, anyway.
    - EVH III

Way to go Eddie...now you've got a flat sub frequency response...to match the flat response of your Ascends. Nice job!

Randy

Hey Eddie.......

We tried to get another Ascend customer from Outlaw's forum, we shall see!

Any new results with the BFD? I'm planning on picking one up in the next month or so and could use any advice/tips you can give.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Yeah, that guy that's considering the Ascends or Digm' Studio 60's lives in the same town I do....weird, huh? The only new thing I've done with whole BFD thing is to bump up the sub level 4dB hotter than the mains. This seems to have done the trick and now it doesn't seem like the sub is too quiet. Also, I was under the impression that my Yamaha HTR-5790 would only store one set of channel levels regardless of what input was being used. I was wrong. It will store one set for the multi-channel inputs and one for everything else. So now, movies and TV are properly calibrated with the sub 4dB hot and my SACD's and DVD-A's are propery set up with the sub kicked up 10dB to compensate for the fact that the LFE channel on hi-rez discs is encoded way too low most of the time. I still haven't experimented with a house curve yet, and will more than likely wait till after the move to do anything else. I have only one major gripe with the BFD, and that is all the damn bright LED's. My sub is in the left rear corner of my room, and the BFD stays on top of it out of the way. I couldn't stand having it in the equipment rack. Too bright!!! Oh, well........for 99 bucks I can't really complain.
    - EVH III