Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: My BFD experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jermy4
    I once read somewhere that you are not supposed to put any gain on a null. Instead you are supposed to cut the rest of the frequencies to match that dip and then turn the gain up on the sub.
    Since cuts are less problematic than boosts, this is a good approach. I think the general rule of thumb is no more than a 2-3db boost.

I just had an hour with my BFD. There is no end to the tweaking you can do with this thing. If you like to tinker, this is a great toy. Every time I change one filter it changes everything else so I removed all filters except one and I think this is the best so far. Gotta get to the office so I'll try to fill in later.

David

A little off topic, but my wife and I got our pre-approval for our mortgage today, so it looks like anything I accomplish with the BFD will just have to be re-done when the house is finished being built. I don't care, though. I'm finally going to have a DEDICATED ROOM!!!!!!! Life is good.
    - EVH III

Played around with the BFD some more. Set a couple of filters to experiment with the fine frequency adjustment, bandwidth, and gain features. The more I play with this thing, the more I realize that it will be worth it but is going to take longer than I first thought. No more messing around for an hour in the evenings. This Saturday is now earmarked for BFD setup time.
    - EVH III

You're just procrastinating.
    -curtis

Wink

I do procrastinate sometimes. Wanna see the top 10 reasons why?
    - EVH III

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Horton
    I do procrastinate sometimes. Wanna see the top 10 reasons why?

After a few hours and 3 filters, I am basically within 4dB from 16Hz to 100Hz. There is a 6dB hump at about 140Hz, but that is due to room interactions with my Ascends above the crossover point of the sub. Not much I can do about that. I'm still gonna tweak it a little more, but this is a HUGE improvement from where I first started. For 99 bucks, this is a great investment.
    - EVH III

Nice work Eddie, been following your thread with great interest. Do you have any thoughts on how the BFD has effected your music and movies sound quality?

Johnny, I'm glad you asked because I was just about to post my thoughts on this. When I first got my system, music was a distant second to HT, but lately some things have come together which has made me reconsider my already large CD collection and my ever growing DVD-A and SACD stack. First would have to be the weather. Here in Alabama it's been beautiful the past few weeks save a few rain storms. When the weather's nice, it's great to open all the windows, put on some music and just chill out. Second would be my wife's job change. She's been an RN for 15 years doing regular hospital type work, but has recently taken a position as a research nurse working M-F 8 to 5 like a normal person, so we now have time to chill out on the weekends together. We both love music, so we have been listening to a lot these past few weekends. Last but not least has been this BFD revelation that I've begun to fully experience this weekend. I can't say enough about what a difference this thing has made with music. Before, my sub was calibrated to the loudest frequency for the most part, so anything that fell in one of the nulls was basically getting left out. I've been listening to my Fleetwood Mac and Diana Krall DVD-A's today and the bass is superb. Every note now flows out of my VTF-3MkII with authority!! I haven't really put a good movie through it since getting it right, but I will tonight. Honestly, this thing has made my system come alive from 100Hz down. I don't have the vocabulary or technical knowledge to describe it, but now every bass note is easily discernable. My HSU is a great sub, but now I know how a room can make a good sub sound less than perfect.
    - EVH III