Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: My BFD experience.

Man........I gotta get a newer PC with a burner!!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I just downloaded ETF....doesn't look too hard.
    You're brighter than me. It took me a while to get the hang of ETF and the different graphs and adjusting the gate timing, etc. It's nice to be able to do the quick sweeps and I think the trial version will cover the needs of a lot of people. I just grabbed the trial version of Praxis and will see how it compares.

I just said it didn't look too hard......I didn't say I knew how to use it yet.
    -curtis

I checked out the ETF site..........is that really a buck-fifty to download?

OUCH!!

I'll stick with my trusty RS meter, thank you very much!

Mr. Fabrikant has graciously offered his expert advice as I travel down the sub measurement/EQ road. Now that's what I call customer service!
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Well....I couldn't get the trial version of ETF to work for me last night on my laptop, so I didn't buy it.

I did get the trial version of TrueRTA to work, but it can't any better than full octave resolution until you pay for it....so I will probably go that route, and it is less expensive than ETF.
    -curtis

Curtis,

I can try and walk you through ETF if you send me a note explaining where you had problems.

Another option would be to try something like Praxis. I think the trial version has more features than the trial version of ETF, but I haven't had time to play with it. RightMark RMAA is another option. It's totally free, but again I haven't had time to play with it and see if it is any good. I'm hoping to play with both this weekend.

What about the BFD software available that simulates the effects of filter settings? I think it is a free download.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

Apologies for the cross-post, but I seriously doubt anyone would bother to read my "630 Just Died" thread, now that it has been resolved, so I copied this here... Hope that's OK...

Quote Originally Posted by jimsiff
    I don't know about the 635, but many receivers don't EQ the sub output. Even if they did, most receivers only have 1, maybe 2 EQ bands in the sub frequency range.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    The receiver's EQ function is different from what the BFD does. It would be my guess that the BFD would make the receiver's EQ work even better. No low freq peaks to compensate for.
    I somehow missed your response on this David. You raise some very interesting possibilities re: integrating the BFD and the 635, and have me hoping I didn't just waste $$ on a BFD. I just slogged through about half of a 29-page thread re: the capabilities of the H/K 635 on AVS, and while I was extremely disappointed to learn that the 635 does not offer bass management or EQ on its 8 hi-rez analog inputs (a feature included on the 630), I was surprised to hear that its low frequency digital EQ was the best on the market in this price range. I still need to do some research regarding how many bands it offers, etc. but the input of at least one poster suggested the BFD would be superfluous.

"My SVS had a huge hump in my room at about +20 dB around 40-50 Hz. Now its +or- 4 dB from 120Hz to 20Hz. Amazing."

So, I guess I'm a little confused as to how I go about testing the BFD's usefulness in my situation. Would I configure the BFD before applying any of the 635's EZset/EQ tests? And furthermore, the 635 apparently comes with an accurate mic. Can I assume I could use that instead of a Radio Shack SPL (which I have yet to purchase)?

Based on some reponses I received here and elsewhere, it sounds like using the BFD on top of the HK 635's EQ may add some additional benefit and flexibility (add a room curve, if desired, multiple settings for movies/music, etc.) Curious if you guys are aware of and/or have tried this free Room EQ software:

Room EQ Wizard
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.mu...meq/index.html

Still in beta testing, but I think it offers many of the same functions as the others, including support for the BFD. You can also simply use it to massage and graph your data, without running the mic/meter directly through it. Anyway, once I get my Rat Shack meter and the 635, I'll probably be posting graphs and peppering you guys with questions. Hope that's cool...

I have the BFD hooked up, running in bypass mode. I ran more tones with the whole system running and got some new numbers.

18hz@68db
    20hz@71.5db
    23hz@80.5db
    26hz@87db
    29hz@95db
    32hz@98db
    36hz@102.5db
    39hz@102.5db
    42hz@100db
    45hz@98db
    51hz@97.5db
    57hz@102.5db
    63hz@98db
    72hz@95.5db
    78hz@92.5db
    84hz@93.5db
    90hz@98.5db
    102hz@87db
    114hz@84.5db
    126hz@90.5db
    160hz@92.5db

Any thoughts/opinions? I know the numbers look pretty good. In fact, they look good enough to Dave F. that he suggests NOT changing a thing!

What do y'all think?
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 04-20-2005 at 07:26 AM.
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6