Page 1 of 12 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: My BFD experience.

Default My BFD experience.

Well, last Sunday was the day I finally broke down and ordered a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to EQ my sub. According to UPS, it should be here when I get home from work tomorrow. So far, I've burned test tones to CD from 18Hz-120Hz, and created a chart to plot the measurements for before and after EQ. I've found a guy from Alabama (the best state) who posted a comprehensive setup guide at www.snapbug.ws Seems like everything one would need to get started. The only thing that I still need is a better correction chart for the Rat Shack SPL meter. I found one, but it skips frequencies too much, and you'd have to guess what values to add for the other frequencies. Anyone know where to get a better one? On the dude's web site, he says there is a compensation chart for Excel that automatically corrects when you enter values, but I don't have Excel on my home computer so...... Anyway, that's where I'm at right now. Just wanted to get this thread started so I could share my experience with the BFD. More to come............
    - EVH III

Here you go ... this is from the excel spreadsheet:
    Attached Images Attached Images

You can download a free Excel compatible program here. I highly recommend this product.

http://www.openoffice.org/

If you use Sonny's excel spreadsheet @ snapbug, the accompanying graph has a built in dip at 111hz. Don't try to compensate for this dip unless it's reflected in your actual numbers.

David

Thanks, guys. I plan on getting started when I get home from work today.
    - EVH III

Lightbulb

Even though it's not free, RivesAudio makes a test CD that has a set of tones already modifed with the corrections built in for the RS meter.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Got home from work today and the wifey had signed for the package. Everything arrived from PE in great shape. Opened the box, and wow, I almost freaked out at the size of the owners manual until I realized that it was translated into about 30 different languages. Right now, I'm printing the setup guide from snapbug's site......should have already done that. As soon as the printer stops, I'm gonna get after it and see what kind of damage I can do. Later.
    - EVH III

This is going to take longer than I thought (like everything else). Got it hooked up, set the input level, and started taking measurements. In a word, my room is f'ed. Here's what I got so far. These are corrected measurements.
    18Hz - 75dB
    20Hz - 74.5dB
    22Hz - 74.5dB
    25Hz - 74dB
    28Hz - 78dB
    31.5Hz - 83dB
    36Hz - 91.5dB
    40Hz - 93.5dB
    45Hz - 91dB
    50Hz - 90.5dB
    56Hz - 91.5dB
    63Hz - 83.5dB
    That's what I have so far.....a NASTY hump that starts right after 25Hz and doesn't start going down until after 56Hz. This is going to be fun, but I'm done for the night.
    - EVH III

One big hump is actually one of the better situations to be in. You might even be able to fix it with a single wide PEQ point. The bigger pains are lots of fluctuations, particularly dips (since its better to lower humps than raise dips). I think you'll be in good shape.

BTW: There was an interesting conversation recently on AV123's forum about whether it was better to flatten bass or allow it to be louder at lower frequencies to compensate for the fact that people don't hear lower frequencies as well. In the end, it seems to depend how things were recorded/engineered/mixed. When I get around to EQing my setup, I may try one flat and one sloped and see how it sounds.

You're talking about the "house curve", right Brad? Depending on how my plot looks all the way out to 140Hz, I may go for one of those. Also, it's encouraging to know that my FR isn't as bad as it first appears. It makes sense, though. One big hump would be easier to fix than several sharp peaks and troughs. You lose head room fast when trying to boost a dip.
    - EVH III

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Horton
    You lose head room fast when trying to boost a dip.
    I once read somewhere that you are not supposed to put any gain on a null. Instead you are supposed to cut the rest of the frequencies to match that dip and then turn the gain up on the sub.