Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Now for a Technical Question

Quote Originally Posted by bri1270
    Hey Clutch, I think I read the thread you're referring to, and wasn't Dave saying that it would be okay to do that with a 340c positioned horizontally?
    Don't remember the thread, even if it was one of mine. I was referring to my e-mail and phone correspondence with Dave. And yes, my situation was horizontal placement.

If I were you I'd just give Dave a call. He was wonderfully helpful and didn't seem to mind in the least that I called him directly.

Looks like I have to give you guys a lesson in "New Math."

If the back of my speaker was paralell to the wall, then the inward (vertical) angle is 10-12 degrees down towards the listening position. My second reference to perpendicular was definitely wrong, but if the speaker was again paralell, then the inward (horizontal) angle is about 7-10 degrees towards the listening position.

This probably doesn't help much. Math never was a strong point, but check out my punctuation...

Besides I sell stuff to PHd's, scientists, and physicists, I don't need math. (just kidding).

Clutch, thanks, I guess I will give them a call.
    Last edited by bri1270; 03-08-2005 at 04:46 PM.

Okay, I just talked with Dave. He confirmed my hypothesis. If I crossover at 80hz, then the speaker won't be pushing as much air, thus the space required by the rear port to properly vent and not sound boomy will be decreased. So, I should be okay with the 340's at 80hz with 6" behind them...wooohoooo...here I go. I have to make some angular adjustments with my speaker mounts, but nothing major.

And, in case Dave does read this post, the 170 was the #3 speaker on Audioreview.com top 200 products list behind the B&W DM602 S3 (which rated 4.77 with 43 reviews), and the Magnepan MM3 (which rated 4.68 with 236 reviews), followed by the 170's (which rated 4.94 with 80 reviews). Personally I think that should make them the number 1 speaker, but what do I know?

I will also add that Dave was exceptionally helpful and outgoing, and seemed to be very happy to help. (I say seemed because I tend to go on and on at times, and I'm sure we could have ended our conversation after 10 minutes, but he continued to let me ramble for another 5 or so without becoming obviously irritated) I have to say that good customer service can, at times, reach beyond the product. I'll also add; if these speakers are as good as I am anticipating them to be, then Ascend has a customer for as long as I have home audio equipment.

Thanks to everyone for their input/advice. I'm looking forward to giving you all my thoughts on the 340's.

Brian