Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SACD & DVDA from Music Clubs?

Default SACD & DVDA from Music Clubs?

Now before I join a club and have to turn-down a CD every week for the rest of my life lest I pay for crap I don't want: Do any other music clubs (BMG, Columbia House, etc) have a decent selection of SACD & DVDA? I'm actually only intrested in Hybrid SACD myself, but I'm sure others may want to know about DVDA availability.

Any personal experience with any of the clubs anyone?

Ask them for a "positive option " on your account and you won't have to send back the cards.

Also BMG has a division known as www.yourmusic.com which is $5.99 with free shipping but you have to buy at least one a month. They charge you 5.99 whether or not you pick something that month but you can quit at anytime. I'm toying with signing up for this one. Apparently SACD are $5.99 too.

There is a thead on Audio.gon about this- http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...openfrom&3&4#3

Also agon has a good thread on where to buy used CDs online- http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...5401&read&3&4&
    Last edited by Quinn; 03-07-2005 at 08:29 PM.

For BMG and Columbia House it is pretty easy nowadays...you can just say "no" online to the monthly selection...and it doesn't get sent to you.

The only way to buy from those clubs is when they have their "specials" then it is pretty inexpensive.

I don't know of a hi-rez club though....that would be nice! Hmmm...a business venture opportunity??
    -curtis

I'm a BMG member and they have a limited number of hybrid SACDs (I know Bob Dylan for sure) and I haven't seen any DVD-As. This makes sense as they could probably only sell hybrid SACDs without people getting angry about ordering something that doesn't work in their player.

If anyone wants an invite to BMG, let me know. I can send one with the regular 'get 12 for the price of 1' deal plus they give me four or five free CDs for signing someone up. I would be happy to send a couple of those to anyone who signed up through me.

As mentioned, they have some good deals, but there are a number of things they don't carry. If you are into non-mainstream stuff of independent labels, then it probably isn't for you. Of course, anyone can search their collection to see if they carry stuff you like.

Brad...I am a BMG member too. Is there a way to search for SACD's on their site?
    -curtis

Nevermind...I am stupid...I just searched for SACDs on Columbia House, got a load of only Bob Dylan stuff, and one by Heart.
    -curtis

Well, as much as I like Dylan, after browsing their site it looks like I'm going to have to NOT join Columbia House or BMG right now, due to craptacular selection.

Now someone seriously needs to start a SACD club. With a real big Jazz & classical libraru to choose from.

Lycos,

checkout www.concordrecords.com
    -curtis

SACD/DVD-A will end up an audiophile niche products. Surround works for DVDs because the video fixes people in place. Music on the other hand few people just sit and listen to it. Music is on while you do other things for most people. You can't burn SACD/DVD-A for the car or download it to your MP3 player. Folks have hard enough time hooking up a HT adding 5 more cables sucks for them.

To find what is availible on SACD try- http://www.sa-cd.net/

Is the redbook layer on a hybrid better then the standard redbook?
    Last edited by Quinn; 03-08-2005 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    To find what is availible on SACD try- http://www.sa-cd.net/

Is the redbook layer on a hybrid better then the standard redbook?
    And for DVD-A's check out this site:
    http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...vda_artist.asp

I think redbook is just redbook, but on SACDs, there is a two-channel hi-rez track as well....I think.
    -curtis