Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just in need of some advice

Question Just in need of some advice

Let me start by saying that I was led to this site by some guys over on Audioholics.com, and boy am I glad.

My current system includes 3 Paradigm LCR350's across the front, two Paradigm Monitor 3's in the rear, 2 Cambridge Newton Tripoles on the sides, an Earthquake MKIV 10", and a Mirage FRX-S 8" I'm using a B&K AV5125 for an Amp, and a Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX as a pre. I was planning on upgrading my fronts with some Paradigm Studio 20's (or 40's) with a CC-470 in the center. I've been hesitent though, because of the prices. I'm not cheap by any means, but I just couldn't justify the expense. I'm relatively happy with the LCR's, but there is definitely something missing, and I think it's detail.

I happened upon the Ascend line by looking at the Audioreview top 200 products. I was intrigued by the #2 speaker on the list, which is obviously the 170. Seems pretty comparable to the Studio 20 overall.

Then I saw the 340, which seems pretty comparable to the Studio 40.

There are tons of reviews and opinions on the 170, which is great, but what I am wondering is...does the 340 offer the same detail as the 170? I ask this, because I don't necessarily need the larger speaker as my listening room isn't that big (but I do feel the inherent need to over compensate...for something). Anyway...if the 340's offer the same detail as the 170's, but I can play them louder, then all's the better. If the detail isn't there, then I just assume get the 170's. I plan on using the 340c for the center in either case.

I am currently on a two channel kick (with subs), but I still watch a lot of movies as well. My listening room is a bit odd. It's 16x16, but it's got a loft over the primary listening area, so it could be measured as 16x10x8. The rear speakers are really the only one's not under the loft (where the celieng extends to about 24 feet). I have three wall mounts for the l/c/r which are ~4 feet from the floor. The point in all of this is that I am sure the 170's will have plenty of umph...but the damn testosterone is saying "get the 340 all the way..." Sometimes I really hate being a guy...then I remember my wife giving birth.

Just a side note...I read a review that said if Ascend used real veneers, they could charge $800-$100 and still be offering a great value...hats off to these guys. By the way...I don't think the Studio 20's have real veneer (but I could be mistaken).

In any case, I am going to order this week I think, and I am really getting pshyced. Thanks to those who replied to my Audiogon question for leading me to this forum.

Well if I haven't utterly confused those reading this post, then I welcome your replies. If I have confused you, my apologies, and I will try to stay on track next time.

Thanks to all

Brian

Hi Brian - welcome to the forum! I won't repeat what I already stated in the audioholics forum - but I will add that the 340's do offer all the detail of the 170's - they just run a little hot in the upper frequencies to help fill out a large room - and go a bit lower in the bass response with the added 6 1/2" driver and more cabinet space.

Also, though you may have already seen it - David offers 3 types of finishes - the standard black, a bare MDF cabinet that you can paint on your own, and an automobile type finish in high gloss that a lot of people really like (for more money - though not sure how much).

Even though the black speakers look kind of mundane in photo's, in person they are actually quite attractive (IMO) without drawing any attention to themselves.

These truly are wonderful speakers for the price - if you are able to you should hear them in full hi-res multichannel audio! Um, well, maybe not - you'll spend a fortune on all those hi-res titles out there if you do

Hi Kap, thanks again for your thoughts, I appreciate it. Actually my comment about the veneers was aimed at Paradigm...they are charging $800 and they don't even have veneer. Personally, I don't think it's all that important of a feature, I'd rather have something that sounds good.

Brian, I was also considering the Paradigm Studio 20s. With all the great reviews I decided to try the 170s, and couldn't be happier with them. You can read my review in the review section of this forum, but I'll give you a quick comparison.

The midbass/midrange of the 170 is spectacular, and easily trumps the Studio 20. I preferred the tweeter of the Studio 20 over the 170, but only by a thin margin. The difference in quality between the midrange easily makes the 170 a better speaker, and at less than half the price of a new set of 20v.3s its a no-brainer.

Others can give you their opinion on the 340c, but I imagine its also impressive. I use 5 CBM-170s in a 18x10x9 room, and have plenty of clear sound up to reference levels. I imagine for your slightly smaller room size that four 170s and a 340c would be more than enough.

Nicholas, read your review, good stuff. Thanks for your opinion on the 20's as well. They just seem over priced to me, especially having discovered the Ascends. For $600 I can get all new fronts, that's $200 less than the Studio 20's alone, and it seems like the performance will be just as good if not better. And for just over $800 I can get the 340's. I still haven't made up my mind. I might get both and return the one's I don't want, but I hate to that because then Ascend gets stuck with two "used" speakers. Might as well do what I can to help them keep their costs down.

Brian...where are you located? Maybe there is an Ascend owner near you and willing to have you over for a listen.
    -curtis

Massholechusetts, but I wouldn't want to impose on anyone.

After reading almost every post, I do have another question. Did Dave work for or design for M&K? Seems to be a couple of subtle hints to that nature.

Guess I should have look more carefully....

My brother and his family live in Amherst.

Yes on Dave and M&K....but being the quiet guy that he is, it isn't something he freely mentions. In fact, some models he worked on are still money makers for them.
    -curtis

paradigm makes a great speaker. ascend makes a great speaker. the choice is your's.

i had v.3 studio 20s in home when i tried the cbm170.

brian, let me encourage you that auditioning them IS the best way. IMHO it's the only way, and it was very enjoyable. don't worry about returning them. i think ascend would like for you to at least try them rather than not try them. ascend wouldn't offer the trial period if they had reservations about people using it. it's an advantage for the consumer. one reason i didn't do business with the only local hi-fi shop we have is that the dealer was not interested in letting me audition the speakers at home for one day (def techs). i was stuck with v.2 paradigm monitor line that kept having problems. two speakers blew resistors (mini monitors) and the center channel's tweeter (cc370) went bad. it was costing me money to maintain my speakers after owning them for just under 2 years! i was unimpressed with what i had purchased and i wanted something else. i wanted a quality product and dealer support (reassurance if something ever went wrong). that's where the net direct business model filled my needs. i've had absolutely zero problems with my ascends and i'm sure it's because of the extremely high QC level dave implements. i'm really fortunate that Dave started Ascend.

one of the reasons i didn't get the paradigm studios was that i didn't think they were worth the extra $. another was that i don't have a local dealer. i also didn't like the cabinet of the paradigms. plus, the standard version is not magnetically shielded (costs more for shielding digms). finally, and most importantly to me, was the sound and L/C/R 340 combo i wanted for HT. add up what it would cost you to complete a surround package in the studio line.

I agree completely. I have to say, that I have had pretty good luck with my Paradigms, but I just don't see the value added for the studio series, which is why I wanted to look elsewhere. Not to mention the fact that the two local dealers in my area have a "you should be happy we're letting you buy such a fine product" attitude, which really sets me off. I will take customer service, and freidnliness over "name" any day. Aside from the glaring reviews about the speakers, the Highly rated level of service everyone gets from Ascend is a major draw for me as well. I have to be honest, I don't have a preferred sound. Some people like the highs, some like the lows. I am more simple, and a little less defined, I just like what sounds good. So what I think I will do is order some Ascends, try them out and then, most likely, sell my Paradigms on Ebay. My only struggle now is which ones I want, the 340s or the 170s. I guess I might have to call and see what fits my needs best. Definitely a 340 for the center. My LCR are about the same size (physically) as the 340's so I know they'll fit, but the 170s might sound better in my small room. Having a hard time fighting the male urge to over compensate.