after reading the secrets dvd benchmark i went with the toshiba sd-v592. i don't really like the silver appearance or the vhs, but i got over it when i started watching some movies.

this is my first experience with a dvd player that has settings like blacker than black etc. and also first time using component video. it was sort of a pain to adjust the settings and the button layout on the remote is terrible, but once it was setup i loved it. the difference from s-vid on my old sony to component going to the projector was remarkable...the colors looked so much better. and i couldn't believe all the detail i was seeing in these dvd's that i didn't notice before. i set the bitrate to the highest setting, 92 i think, can't remember..fortunately my reciever decodes that high. i don't know if that setting alone made a difference in the sound quality, but overall the dvd player was a big improvement in sound too.

so anyways, i'm happy with it and will be even happier once i memorize where the buttons on the remote are located and won't have to turn the lamp on to use it.