Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 340 l/r

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by andydc

Curtis, if you had to use the speakers without a sub for music, would you still go for the 340s or would that tip you towards some other bookshelf speaker?
    (other opinions most welcome too, of course!).
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well, I have not heard a bookshelf speaker in the same price range that has much more clean bass. I have just demoed the ELT's, CBM-170, and CMT-340 to someone without the sub. The 340 by far has more bass, and seem to be fine with what we were listening to. I think it would depend on your tastes for music. I also think the CBM-170 can be used without a sub...but it really depends on the listening material.

I have heard the Onix Ref1, and that has some good bass, but it is $1500/pr. Give me the 340's or 170's, a VTF-3, and I think it sounds at least as good....and it costs less.

Do you have no room for a sub?

But the best advice I can give is just get out and listen and see what you can find.

-curtis

Thanks, Curtis. This is for my living room, which is my secondary listening spot (not my basement HT, with the sub etc.) WAF is very high here. Also, I'm actually feeding this off a downstairs receiver, mostly, and I wouldn't want to run a sub cable up. So, all in all, no sub. I don't listen to much really bass-heavy music (Coldplay, Nora Jones, various classical, . . . ), There are clearly bookcases out there for quite a bit more money that would give more bass, but more money (like I said) and wrong form factor, so this is probably the ticket.