Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old FV12 with AA S1-V2's

Default Re: Old FV12 with AA S1-V2's

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    You made me look! Some good deals.

There is an F12G not far from me. It would be great for my bedroom. $700 is more than I want to spend...although I am spoiled with Rythmik bass.
    Also an L12, but that is in Illinois...$390!! I wonder how much shipping is.
    Me, too. I had my eye on the two E15’s but they are in black oak and my other 2 are regular black….at least that’s my excuse for not pulling the trigger, as well as spelling too much the past month or so in Brazil (wife opened a store there, we bought our cows back, another pair of swans, amongst other things)
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    20 should be fine for music, or the next lower down if any of the music has really low instruments (like a pipe organ or possibly the basson you mentioned). high damping, IMO, is better for music - more articulate. I think that's what Rythmik also recommends in their set up guide.
    So is the damping setting for the entire bass range? or just the bottom shelf (14/20/28Hz)?

Quote Originally Posted by moonthink View Post
    So is the damping setting for the entire bass range? or just the bottom shelf (14/20/28Hz)?
    Entire range.
    -curtis

So my old FV12 has started sometimes making a noise that sounds like rattling...
    At first, I thought it was a stack of CD's I had on top of the cabinet, but I moved them and the sound persisted. I removed the grille cover and put one finger on the speaker surround and the rattling stopped.
    Since I got it, I haven't run this sub past 12:00 on the volume knob, and my typical listening volume in room is quite low -- usually 50-65db. 70db is the most I've ever done in there and that's a little uncomfortable for me.

The sub was purchased used, so it was shipped and possibly tossed around a bit. And I myself have moved it between floors a couple of times (damn that's much heavier than my PB-1000).

Any ideas what the issue might be? Mis-aligned voice coil?

I've written to Rythmik, but it may take them a while to get back to me, and I though someone here might have some ideas...

Did you check that all the screws holding the driver into the cabinet were still tight? Perhaps since it's "old" some may have come a bit loose.
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK

Did you check that all the screws holding the driver into the cabinet were still tight? Perhaps since it's "old" some may have come a bit loose.
    I did not check them with a screw driver, just my hands, and it seemed tight against the cabinet. And pushing on the outer connecting screw plate didn't change the flutter, but one finger on the rubber surround stopped it completely. Thanks for the idea -- I will double check it tonight.

No worries.

Another thought just occurred to me. You should also look for rips/tears in the speaker surround "rubber" (I'm assuming). Things do eventually wear out and need repair / replacement.

No worries.

Another thought just occurred to me. You should also look for rips/tears in the speaker surround "rubber" (I'm assuming). Things do eventually wear out and need repair / replacement.
    I didn't notice any tears, but I also didn't specifically look for them, just glanced over everything. Good thought -- I'll check it when I get home. Thanks again!

I could not find any tears in the surround or speaker itself. All the screws that are there seem tight, but one is missing. And the screws that remain seem to have a tiny bit of glue (or silicon maybe?) under them. But also, I couldn't recreate the issue today, which I guess is good, but makes me wonder what issue this could be?
    I even played the same music that I noticed the rattling/flapping sound, and nothing. Weird, right?

thanks for updating with your findings.
    anyways, I'd not worry about it since you couldn't recreate it and, I assume, the bass from the sub sounds fine.