Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Old FV12 with AA S1-V2's

Default Re: Old FV12 with AA S1-V2's

Also (to everyone), what do you think is the modern equivalent to the FV12?

Maybe the LV12M? (same wattage, single port)

Thanks everyone for the replies/advice!

Quote Originally Posted by moonthink View Post
    My previous sub was an SVS PB-1000 (non pro), and initially I thought to use both, but they sound so different, and I'm having enough trouble getting just the one sub dialed in to perfection. Also, I don't need the extra output, and typically I'm the only one down there, so I don't need better coverage either. Since I haven't measured, I'm not sure about nulls or modes, but I haven't heard anything that would make me suspect a problem there.
    To get it dialed in, you really need to take measurements.
    Also, in my opinion, you need "real" bass management. Your preamp doesn't do bass management, so the MiniDSP Flex would be great.
    -curtis

Also (to everyone), what do you think is the modern equivalent to the FV12?

Maybe the LV12M? (same wattage, single port)

Thanks everyone for the replies/advice!
    To replace the FV12? I would not worry about replacing it now.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    yeah yeah...don't rub it in.
    I have another one, just not a good place to put it.
    So, loaned it to a buddy. He loves it so much, I don't think I will ever see it again.
    not rubbing it in... just wondering if I needed to be on the look-out for a matching sub :-).
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

I had it set to that initially, but when I watched POOR THINGS the other day, there's one section of music with a single instrument, possibly a contra basson? Anyway it had ridiculously low output. I also saw the film in a movie theater and it didn't distort, but my FV12 didn't like it and made some weird sounds (port chuffing maybe?). I keep my main volume pretty low on the amp and sub (around 10:30-11:00 on the knob). Anyway, my system is 80% music and 20% movies/games, so I really don't need sub 20Hz content. That's why I changed it to 20/medium.
    20 should be fine for music, or the next lower down if any of the music has really low instruments (like a pipe organ or possibly the basson you mentioned). high damping, IMO, is better for music - more articulate. I think that's what Rythmik also recommends in their set up guide.
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    To replace the FV12? I would not worry about replacing it now.

To get it dialed in, you really need to take measurements.
    Also, in my opinion, you need "real" bass management. Your preamp doesn't do bass management, so the MiniDSP Flex would be great.
    The FV12 is pretty old, and luckily still works well, but really was just my way to cheaply try Rythmik subs before buying a newer or better version.

I do plan to do measurements at some point, but like I said, I try to do the best I can by myself first -- that's half the fun/pleasure of making one tweak that really makes a difference.

There's several Rythmiks listed for sale on usaudiomart. Might want to take a look if interested in getting a newer model - perhaps one is close to you.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    not rubbing it in... just wondering if I needed to be on the look-out for a matching sub :-).
    Ha! You are so thoughtful!
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    There's several Rythmiks listed for sale on usaudiomart. Might want to take a look if interested in getting a newer model - perhaps one is close to you.
    You made me look! Some good deals.

There is an F12G not far from me. It would be great for my bedroom. $700 is more than I want to spend...although I am spoiled with Rythmik bass.
    Also an L12, but that is in Illinois...$390!! I wonder how much shipping is.
    Last edited by curtis; 04-18-2024 at 02:41 PM.
    -curtis

The FV12 is pretty old, and luckily still works well, but really was just my way to cheaply try Rythmik subs before buying a newer or better version.

I do plan to do measurements at some point, but like I said, I try to do the best I can by myself first -- that's half the fun/pleasure of making one tweak that really makes a difference.
    Yeah: tweak, listen, measure, repeat....
    -curtis