Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Old FV12 with AA S1-V2's

Default Re: Old FV12 with AA S1-V2's

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    thanks for updating with your findings.
    anyways, I'd not worry about it since you couldn't recreate it and, I assume, the bass from the sub sounds fine.
    I talked to the previous owner, who apparently opened up the sub to take pictures of the electronics inside. They suggested that I open it to see if any wires or insulation might be coming in contact with the speaker. Sounds reasonable. While I couldn't recreate it last night, it has happened on more than one occasion, so I think I'll open it up and do a little exploratory surgery.

I had an SVS PB-1000 down there before the FV12, and I was surprised at how much better the old FV12 was than the SVS. I'd hate to have to go back to that. So it's either fix this one up or buy a newer one.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

no worries. agree - sounds reasonable to open it up (either pull the speaker and/or the amp).
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by moonthink View Post
    I could not find any tears in the surround or speaker itself. All the screws that are there seem tight, but one is missing. And the screws that remain seem to have a tiny bit of glue (or silicon maybe?) under them. But also, I couldn't recreate the issue today, which I guess is good, but makes me wonder what issue this could be?
    I even played the same music that I noticed the rattling/flapping sound, and nothing. Weird, right?
    It is critical that the missing screw be replaced or at least fill the open hole. An open screw hole will cause a serious air-leak and unexpected internal pressure changes, this will cause problems.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

So I finally opened up the sub last night and made sure none of the wires and insulation was going to come in contact with the driver. The previous owner had opened it up to take pictures of the insides for the ad. I don't think they were careful to put the driver back in the same orientation. The driver has +/- wires going to one side for the speaker, and +/- to the other side for the servo. I re-oriented the speaker so that wires were on either sides (9:00 and 3:00), which seemed to most logical solution. It had been at like 1:00 and 7:00 when I removed it. I also found a screw to fill in for the missing one.

I only had one night listening to it so far, but it seems to have solved the issue (which only occurred sometimes, but more often lately). Thanks everyone for the advice!
    Last edited by moonthink; 05-02-2024 at 07:34 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by moonthink View Post
    So I finally opened up the sub last night and made sure none of the wires and insulation was going to come in contact with the driver. The previous owner had opened it up to take pictures of the insides for the ad. I don't think they were careful to put the driver back in the same orientation. The driver has +/- wires going to one side for the speaker, and +/- to the other side for the servo. I re-oriented the speaker so that wires were on either sides (9:00 and 3:00), which seemed to most logical solution. It had been at like 1:00 and 7:00 when I removed it. I also found a screw to fill in for the missing one.

I only had one night listening to it so far, but it seems to have solved the issue (which only occurred sometimes, but more often lately). Thanks everyone for the advice!
    so far so good. Fingers crossed!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com