Thread: Sierra LX - Office Placement, making the best of it.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sierra LX - Office Placement, making the best of it.

speakerlayout.jpg

My setup:
    Sierra LX monitors
    Single 10" Speedwoofer
    80x2 amp

I've moved my speakers off my desk in the middle of the room. I now have a good, nearly equilateral triangle (about 60" every way) for my Sierra LX speakers. This has immediately solved many issues I was fighting with in regard to imaging, echo, weird bass issues, and what i'd call "glare." They were 55" apart, yet only 29" from me. Sounded great if I rolled my chair to the back of the room, but i can't use my office that way.

Now I have a nice equilateral triangle, but my ridiculous ultrawide monitor (48" wide 12" tall) is in the center of this triangle. While the speakers are 60" apart from each other, and myself, I cant' actually see the speakers from my desk. They're obscured by the edges of the monitor.

I also tried putting one speaker on the shelf represented by the black shelving at the front of the room, and one speaker in front of the white shelving on the left. It did let me widen the distance between speakers a bit, giving them more chance to get around the monitor, but having one speaker with a foot of air behind it and one right up on the wall created an issuea where all the bass would get located in one corner.

During certain music/movies I can tell there's some issues in the midrange/treble. Electric guitar makes it really obvious. That said, it's still so much better in other ways now! I do think a lot of the issue is the sound bouncing off the back of the hard plastic monitor. I did try toeing them in and out a little, but zero toe seems the best to my ear. (I havent broken out REW yet)

Should I be putting some sort of sound treatment on the back of the monitor? It's completely smooth where the speakers would hit it, but it is curved. Any treatment will need to be light and flexible. (I tried taping those 1/4" dense foam adhesive wall decorations people like to the back, but it didnt really do anything.)
    Last edited by gmetro; 04-17-2024 at 11:27 AM.