Thread: Any additional advice to get the most out of my ELXs?

Default Any additional advice to get the most out of my ELXs?

Hi everyone,

I've had my ELX Ribbon's since July and I jsut want to make sure I'm getting the most out of them.

They are in my living room that is a trapezoidal shape. They are against a back interior wall that is about 27 feet long. They are about 10 feet apart and I am about 10-11 feet from each tweeter. The speakers are about 20" out from wall. Here is a rough design of the room with the speakers on the long flat wall and my listening position marked as the X. The speakers are not near any walls but they do surround a 2 foot high TV stand. The drivers are about 4 inches in front of the stand.

Here is a link to some photos as well. https://imgur.com/a/Rp6Kepo

I am running them with a Yamaha A-S2200 which posts there power specs as [20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.07% THD] 90 W + 90 W (8 ohms), 150 W + 150 W (4 ohms). I also have a 10ish year old SVS PB1000 sub integrated.

Would I benefit from a higher powered amp? I listen mainly between 60-75dB.

Just trying to make sure I get the most out of this investment. Would appreciate any advice, help.

Default Re: Any additional advice to get the most out of my ELXs?

How's your center imaging? Do voices seem locked right in the middle? If not, maybe try the speakers a little closer together. I would go for a larger rug so that there is rug in between you and each speaker. Maybe try some artistic sound absorbing panels? Not sure how much 'slap echo' there is. Looks really nice overall.
    Nate

Nice looking setup!

Do you feel like anything is lacking?

Do you feel like you need the sub? How does the setup sound without it? Dialing in the sub properly is important and I don't think that Yamaha has bass management. How do you have the sub integrated?

From first glance, I feel acoustic treatments around the room would help, but that isn't always viable for a lot of people.
    -curtis

Agree, nice room and vinyl collection.

I second curtis' questions on what you feel is lacking and how you've got the sub integrated. May want to try without the sub, as curtis suggested.

Agree with Nate on adding a carpet between you and the speakers. Likely getting reflections off the floor.

Make sure the blinds are closed behind you (sliding door to patio). Could be getting reflections off the glass.

Try various degrees of toe in (or out) instead of straight forward.

90 wpc, your listening distance, and listening level should be fine - so I don't think a more powerful amp is needed. You could also try increasing your listening level to around 75-80 dB on average.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Thanks for the responses. Center image is solid. And I think I have the bass dialed in with crossover/volume. It's an older SVS so it doesn't have app management but I think I've integrated everything smoothly.

There is a carpet under my couch and coffee table. it ends about 3 feet from the speakers.

My main concerns are I can't really get a great soundstage (width/depth/height). Most everything seems to be coming from one of the speakers or directly in the center.

All great suggestions.

If you really want to nerd out, get REW and a calibrated mic. There's some learning curve but it's great for this kind of thing.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by deadlax97 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. Center image is solid. And I think I have the bass dialed in with crossover/volume. It's an older SVS so it doesn't have app management but I think I've integrated everything smoothly.

There is a carpet under my couch and coffee table. it ends about 3 feet from the speakers.

My main concerns are I can't really get a great soundstage (width/depth/height). Most everything seems to be coming from one of the speakers or directly in the center.
    How is the sub connected?

Soundstage is most influenced by the room.
    -curtis

The sub is connected via the pre-outs of the amplifier. crossover is around 38-40hz (not exact as its a dial) with sound levels matched to the amp volume.

I would recommend adding some damping in the room, a large throw rug on the floor positioned halfway between you and the speakers would be beneficial.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by deadlax97 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've had my ELX Ribbon's since July and I jsut want to make sure I'm getting the most out of them.

They are in my living room that is a trapezoidal shape. They are against a back interior wall that is about 27 feet long. They are about 10 feet apart and I am about 10-11 feet from each tweeter. The speakers are about 20" out from wall. Here is a rough design of the room with the speakers on the long flat wall and my listening position marked as the X. The speakers are not near any walls but they do surround a 2 foot high TV stand. The drivers are about 4 inches in front of the stand.

Here is a link to some photos as well. https://imgur.com/a/Rp6Kepo

I am running them with a Yamaha A-S2200 which posts there power specs as [20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.07% THD] 90 W + 90 W (8 ohms), 150 W + 150 W (4 ohms). I also have a 10ish year old SVS PB1000 sub integrated.

Would I benefit from a higher powered amp? I listen mainly between 60-75dB.

Just trying to make sure I get the most out of this investment. Would appreciate any advice, help.
    for soundstage testing try videos like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N02Y7vaVDNo