Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PC to Ascends...Best Setup?

Default PC to Ascends...Best Setup?

Hi folks,

Ok, I have been 'round and 'round the various audio fora. I guess that, in my price range, it's come down to a reciever such as the Panasonic SA-XR70S or the Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K. One is pure digital path, the other not.

Tonight I finally committed to the Pioneer after reading an untold number of positive reviews.

Considering I can always return it, let me ask you this: If you wanted the best bang for the buck in two or 2.1 channel audio for now, with the possibility of future upgrades to surround sound, what would you do?

I plan to have my PC as the primary source, and even then, I'm debating whether to cancel my order for an Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 LT and get a simple card or motherboard that allows bit perfect pass through on a digital out.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Evan

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubman
    Tonight I finally committed to the Pioneer after reading an untold number of positive reviews.

Considering I can always return it, let me ask you this: If you wanted the best bang for the buck in two or 2.1 channel audio for now, with the possibility of future upgrades to surround sound, what would you do?
    Evan,

I had the same receiver dilemma a month ago. I was considering the 1014tx or the 54tx. The 1014 wins the value comparison IMO hands down, but there were some features that sold me on the 54tx in the end. The bottom line is that the 1014 is an excellent receiver and at $399, tough to beat in the sub $600 category.

If I wanted the best bang for the buck for 2 or 2.1 audio with an upgrade path for the future, I'd first figure out how far ahead the future was. If surround sound would happen within the next 6 months or so, I'd say you're on the right track with the 1014tx. If the future could be 1-2 years down the road or more, I'd suggest you buy a used or refurb 2 channel receiver for under $150. Put the savings aside and buy a A/V receiver when you're ready for surround sound.

A/V receiver technology moves so fast that if you buy a good value now but don't intend to use it's main feature for a year or two, the value diminishes significantly as technology trickles down. In 2-3 years, I would guess that there will be receivers in the sub $1k class that support HDMI video switching, while currently it's only available with flagship models or external switchers.

You can get a refurbished Onkyo TX-8211 2 channel receiver from ecost.com for $85.99. I have the 8211's great grandfather, the TX-900. It's rated at 40x2, and has served me well since I bought it in high school in 1989. It currently is in my 3rd room system, and keeps on trucking.

There are others on this board with more experience than me, so maybe they'll offer more or better insight.

Good luck. You've got a great receiver... I just hope you can use it to it's fullest reasonably soon.
    Last edited by jimsiff; 03-02-2005 at 09:56 PM.
    -Jim

You can get a refurbished Onkyo TX-8211 2 channel receiver from ecost.com for $85.99.

I have the Onkyo 8011 (basically the same as the 8211) in my study doing 2 channel duty. It's a terrific value. Just like with the Ascend speakers, it's amazing whats available at lower price points today. It hasn't always been so.

David

On the PC side of things, getting bit perfect out of onboard sound is a not a very easy thing to accomplish. Almost every mobo resamples 44.1 to 48khz. That being said, if you don't need digital input capabilities, there's no need to spring for the Audiotrak -- I just picked up the Chaintech AV-710 for $23 and with the right drivers (3.10a from the VIA website) I have achieved bit-perfect playback. Sounds de-lovely through my Ascends...

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    You can get a refurbished Onkyo TX-8211 2 channel receiver from ecost.com for $85.99.

I have the Onkyo 8011 (basically the same as the 8211) in my study doing 2 channel duty. It's a terrific value. Just like with the Ascend speakers, it's amazing whats available at lower price points today. It hasn't always been so.

David
    No kidding. I paid $200 for my TX-900 back in '89. With inflation, that's about $300 today. It's amazing that you can get an equivilent for less than 1/3 the price right now.
    -Jim

Most cheapo motherboards come with a coax digital out. Should be good enough for music, unless your one of those cavemen that thinks vinyl sounds better (runs and hides). I used lossless WMA sampling in Windows Media Player 10 (I think WMP 9 also has it) to rip my entire CD collection. There is a cool option in WMP to automatically rip any CD you put in the CD drive. If you are hooked to the internet, it will download cover art and song descriptions. Easy and quick. Microsoft rawks, in this case.

I will be using my PC as a jukebox, and the PCM output should be just fine. I'm also using a 1014tx, and my satellite box and DVD player are already using up both my optical digital inputs, so I'm glad the PC is coax SPDIF!

Have fun!

I use an Apple Airport Express and stream my MP3's wirelessly to it. The Airport Express is hooked up digitally to my pre/pro and is controlled via iTunes on my PC......works and sounds great!
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew
    Most cheapo motherboards come with a coax digital out. Should be good enough for music:
    But again, FWIW, those cheapo mobos resample everything to 48khz, and that's a definitely audible distortion. They also can't pass DTS signals, I don't think (though I could be wrong onthat). As for WMA, I tend to steer clear of any proprietary formats. FLAC is also lossless and open-source, so it has the broadest compatibility -- better compression as well I think and no attempt to control what I do with my music.

Default Think I've got my plan of attack!

Thanks to all who responded.

I think I have my plan figured out. Please let me know if you see any glaring errors.

By Tuesday, I will have the two products I decided to order first: an Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1LT and a Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K. I realize there's some overlap, with either one likely able to provide good DAC's. I couldn't justify the limitations and/or aggravations of simply going with a power amp or 2 channel receiver, though, considering the price differentials.

Once these arrive, and after my bank account recovers, I think my next purchase will be a sub. I'm leaning that way because my two old Boston A60's with new woofers are behaving fine and, knowing I'll likely want a sub with my Ascends, especially if I go with 170's, I want it to be ready to go when I get them.

Does this make sense to you all? I realize I'm building a system in "reverse order" but I can't see doing it otherwise given what I'm starting with.

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Evan

: (