Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: two questions regarding Sierra 2ex speakers

Default Re: two questions regarding Sierra 2ex speakers

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    really? OK, but I could swear the software pulled in a cal file when I setup my AVM 70.
    if you were using the mic from the 60, then yes it would probably ask for a cal file (or serial number of mic) - I don't recall as it's been awhile. On the 70, I think it just asks you to select a mic.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    if you were using the mic from the 60, then yes it would probably ask for a cal file (or serial number of mic) - I don't recall as it's been awhile. On the 70, I think it just asks you to select a mic.
    I used the mic that came with the 70. No worries, it is all working fine.
    -curtis

Cool
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK

I own both a pair of EXv2 and LXs. Let me be clear: they are both great speakers, so it's not like it'd be a bad choice to get the EXs.

That said, if I were building a new HT where I was choosing between LX and EX, I'd get the LX. This is partly due to vertical directivity but really because I think the LX is just better for HT and for most music, regardless of directivity. The mids are a little better on the LX, and the midbass slam is definitely better on the LX, which for HT is something I want. I do like the EXs better for some things, mostly acoustic music, like classical—nothing beats those RAAL tweeters for violins—but if you are, as you said, ominivores, I think the LX is the better all-around music speaker and the clear choice for HT. Plus they're a little cheaper, which is nice when you're buying six of them.

Six? Not seven? Yep. Take the money you saved on the other six and get a Horizon center if you can fit it. I know there are a lot of recommendations to get exactly the same 7 in the base layer, but trust me, you want a Horizon for the center channel if you can swing it space-wise. It's a bit of a monster but it sounds glorious, particularly for voices, which is what you want your center for.

Just my $.02.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Thanks for expanding on your thoughts. Between that and some other reading I've done, the LX does seem the better choice for me. The Horizon does seem like a fantastic choice for a center. Putting it in would require removing the table under the television (it's wall mounted) and finding a short stand where I could angle it up some. It's likely going to take us a few months to put this all together but we'll start with a pair of LX's and go on from there.

Hopefully Dave can chime in on which particular Sonance in-ceiling he favors. Their website leaves a lot to be desired in terms of understanding their products...but those will be the last to go in so I have some time to get that figured out.

I have 4 sonance vp66r’s for Atmos with my ELX towers and horizon …they sound very good and match very well sound wise with the ascends. Plus you can rotate the tweeter too.

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    I have 4 sonance vp66r’s for Atmos with my ELX towers and horizon …they sound very good and match very well sound wise with the ascends. Plus you can rotate the tweeter too.
    Thanks so much for that info! I've got an order for the first two LX's in. If we like those then we'll place an order for the rest. Honestly, it's hard to imagine that we won't. Hopefully I can find a local installer for the ceiling speakers as nobody, including me, wants me crawling around an attic.

Now, off to learn about those in-ceiling speakers!

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Yes, the Sonance VP66 are a very good choice.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

looks like best buy has the vp66r on clearance at the moment.

Thanks, Dave, for that confirmation regarding the VP66R speakers! And, racraword65, thanks for the heads up regarding Best Buy!

I see my speakers are shipping out today. Now I have to impatiently sit until they arrive.