Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: two questions regarding Sierra 2ex speakers

Default two questions regarding Sierra 2ex speakers

We're planning to do a 7.2.4 speaker system in our family room and the Sierra 2ex's are one of our leading candidates for the base layer of speakers. However, there are three questions that I have that I hope can be answered:

1. We'll likely be using a Denon X6800H AVR to drive these. From what I can interpret of the specifications this should be fine but I'd like to confirm that. We haven't purchased the AVR yet so we could change course there if necessary.

2. Since Ascend doesn't seem any timbre matched in-ceiling speakers, is there a recommendation that would blend well with the Sierra 2ex's? Given the layout of the room, on-wall height channels aren't practical but in-ceiling's would work nicely.

3. Assuming all the other questions have good answers, should we set things up so the middle of he tweeter is at ear height? And, if so, what is the measurement from the bottom of the speaker to that point?

Thanks!

Default Re: two questions regarding Sierra 2ex speakers

1. Yes it will be fine in terms of power. Honestly, though, for that kind of money I’d get an Anthem, just for their room correction. I’m retiring my Denon this summer to be rid of Audyssey.

2. Dave has previously recommended Sonance for good match for in-ceiling.

3. Yes, for sure you want the tweeters at ear level. The middle of the tweeter is 11” from the bottom of the speaker. Honestly I’d go with LXs for home theater use and then you don’t need to be so picky about matching ear height.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Thanks!

Anthem is on my shortlist though I do like the on screen UI on the Denon. I'm still researching the pros and cons of Dirac vs. Arc Genesis on the Anthem.

I'm not familiar with Sonance so I'll dig into that as well.

And, thanks for your thoughts regarding the LX. Is that recommendation because of better vertical directivity or was it for some other reason?

I've not used Dirac but have used Anthem's ARC (and now ARC Genesis) for some time now. Genesis does an excellent job of correcting the room and integrating subs and is "tweakable" in professional mode (cross-overs, levels, roll-off, etc.). If you are on AVS Forum, there is a member there (Yonettes) who will work with you to review & modify your ARC file - free of charge - to get the most out of your room/system. He's done 1000's of files and everyone, myself included, has been extremely positive of the improvements.

Aside from the ARC software, the units sound terrific. The WebUI is well laid out and makes set up pretty easy. You can also save your configuration, both on the unit and to a PC. Also has the capability for 30 virtual inputs.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

I have two friends who use Dirac & ARC. They each love the one they have, and neither wishes they had the other. The ARC is running from the top of the line Anthem pre-pro, AVM 90, and the Dirac is running from a top end jbl Synthesis pre-pro. I have a very modest Denon AVR (X3300) running Audyssey XT32. I could not begin to compare the differences of my humble setup to theirs, but I'm not using the HT system for serious music listening, and the whole surround experience is lost on my wife anyway. She already believes I spend way too much money on the music system!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I have used Dirac with an Emotiva XMC-1 (it's been a while) and currently use ARC Genesis previously with an AVM 60 and now with an AVM 70.
    Both are excellent.
    I have also used Trinnov a long while ago.

The main user difference is that Dirac requires an internet connection. At least it did when I used it for licensing purposes as well as EQ/filter calculations. Measurements are taken locally with your computer, and then uploaded to Dirac in real-time to create the filters, and then back down to your system. Someone correct me if this not the case.

With ARC/Genesis, the only reason for a internet connection is to get the correction file for the measurement microphone, everything else is done locally on the computer.

I don't think you will go wrong with either of them. Personally, I will always use one in my main system to correct mid-bass/bass room issues.

Currently I am putting together a small bedroom two-channel system. I am trying to keep the costs down, so room correction is currently not a priority...but that will probably change because I am spoiled.
    Last edited by curtis; 04-15-2024 at 10:25 AM.
    -curtis

Curtis - you only need a calibration file for the mic for previous generation hardware - the newest (MRX x40/AVM70/AVM90 mics don't need a cal file.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

Thanks, everyone, for the Dirac/ARC Genesis feedback.

I'd like to return to the LX/EX point that SunByrne made. This will be in the family room so it's a mixed use space. Time wise it's going to be about 75% HT / 25% music. Though less time gets spent with music, it gets much more critical attention than the sound does when immersed in a movie. We're planning to put in a subwoofer, probably an SVS SB3000 (maybe two of them eventually if we find we need it).

With respect to music genre, we're pretty much omnivores. I tend toward acoustic and early music but depending on mood we could be listening to anything from rock to jazz to blues to country or even (gasp) pop.

The room is about 19' x 30' though it's open to a kitchen and has openings to a hall and another room. We'll be sitting about 9.5' from the from left and right speakers and slightly less to the center. There is a Sony 83" A90J that will be in between the speakers. Where the tv and speakers will be has walls behind the speakers/tv and on the sides but behind the listening/viewing area there is a lot of space and there is no left sidewall (it's open to the kitchen). We tend not to listen too loudly but dynamic range is always good when you need it.

Your thoughts are most appreciated!

You will be very happy with either the LX or EX. In your use case, I would lean slightly toward the LX.

My only suggestion is to look into Rythmik sub(s).
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Curtis - you only need a calibration file for the mic for previous generation hardware - the newest (MRX x40/AVM70/AVM90 mics don't need a cal file.
    really? OK, but I could swear the software pulled in a cal file when I setup my AVM 70.
    -curtis