Thread: Help choosing a power amp to run with my new Sierra LX speakers

Default Help choosing a power amp to run with my new Sierra LX speakers

A theoretical question for those who are much smarter than me (literally everyone haha). Which do you think would be better for driving a pair of Sierra LX speakers, for music only, by themselves (no subwoofer):

1) A vintage (1980ish) 230ish WPC (into 8 ohm) Class A/B power amp

or

2) A modern (2023ish) 150 WPC (into 8 ohm) Higher End Class D (dual hypex modules I think) power amp?

I have read comments elsewhere that Class D excels with bass control and is better with less efficient speakers, so it might yield tighter and cleaner low end with these low efficiency speakers. I have also read there is no substitute for power, and that Class D is trash (so many people hate on class D!) so a good A/B power amp with more WPC will give the best performance.

Looking for peoples input and experiences that might help me get the most out of these beautiful speakers.

Default Re: Help choosing a power amp to run with my new Sierra LX speakers

Personally, I'd buy something newer than a 1980's class a/b amp, be it either class a/b or class d. With an older amp, I'd be concerned it would/may soon need work (e.g. capacitor replacement).

Nothing wrong with today's class D amps. I use one for my center + surrounds + 4 ATMOS. Center is ~280 wpc, rest ~140 wpc. Look at Buckeye amps or VTV (where I purchased mine, Pascal modules) amps for class D options. The new Purifi modules are supposed to be the best of what's available today (Purifi, then Pascal, then Hypex).

I currently have my LX in the office, driving them with a cheapo FXAudio amp. One of these days, I may swap it for the other VTV amp I have (4 channel, Pascal modules, 140 wpc) but thinking of sending it in to be updated to 2 channel (280 wpc) in the near future. Not that all that power is needed.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD

What racrawford65 said.

I've been researching the amp question on breaks while I tear apart and rebuild my listening room (which has turned into a major renovation project, as often happens). From everything I can tell, modern Class D amps are the closest thing we have to the proverbial "straight wire with gain". Difficult to drive speakers don't bother them, they have plenty of power, and run so cool some people can't tell that they are actually on, and are super quiet.

I've got a Buckeye 3 channel on my list. After the HVAC ducting gets fixed. If that happens in my lifetime. ;-)
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

I also agree with racrawford65.

I have an old ATI 1505 that used for a long time, I bought it used 15+ years ago. It was 5+ years old when I bought it. It served me well a long time.

Last year I bought a VTV amp, the front channels are Purifi modules (1ET400A modules about 150-180wpc)), the surrounds are Hypex. Works great. To my ear, it seems a bit cleaner than the old ATI. Cleaner or not, it drives the LX's louder than I need.

I still have the old ATI and will eventually send it to ATI for service/checkup, keep it as a spare or sell it.
    -curtis

I went from an early 1990’s vintage Superphon DM200 that I thought was awesome. But I got into an upgrade bug and went to an Eversolo A8 streamer/preamp + a Mini GaN5. That combo sounded great, but I needed an amp for a secondary system. I purchased an Orchard Audio Duo (GaN) amp and it was another jump up from the Mini GaN5.

Quote Originally Posted by reforminded View Post
    A theoretical question for those who are much smarter than me (literally everyone haha). Which do you think would be better for driving a pair of Sierra LX speakers, for music only, by themselves (no subwoofer):

1) A vintage (1980ish) 230ish WPC (into 8 ohm) Class A/B power amp

or

2) A modern (2023ish) 150 WPC (into 8 ohm) Higher End Class D (dual hypex modules I think) power amp?

I have read comments elsewhere that Class D excels with bass control and is better with less efficient speakers, so it might yield tighter and cleaner low end with these low efficiency speakers. I have also read there is no substitute for power, and that Class D is trash (so many people hate on class D!) so a good A/B power amp with more WPC will give the best performance.

Looking for peoples input and experiences that might help me get the most out of these beautiful speakers.
    Has the vintage amplifier had the power supply caps changed? If not, easy answer - avoid it.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Has the vintage amplifier had the power supply caps changed? If not, easy answer - avoid it.
    Yes, the vintage amp has been thoroughly bench tested and repaired as needed. According to the stereophile's definition of clipping at 1% THD it actually hits 260ish WPC before clipping.

I have two amps that I have been testing back and forth to decide which to keep. The big vintage amp seems to sound more full and forward, deeper sound stage, and it has that oomph for sure. The new amp seems to be more detailed but a little reserved, not as deep a soundstage (but very wide) and I think it might have a little better bass control and definition at the expense of fullness. Struggling to decide between the two. Both go plenty loud!

Side note, could the Sierra LX hand the power of a McIntosh MC452? I have a deal that might fall into my lap but thats a huge amp and probably overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by reforminded View Post
    Yes, the vintage amp has been thoroughly bench tested and repaired as needed. According to the stereophile's definition of clipping at 1% THD it actually hits 260ish WPC before clipping.

I have two amps that I have been testing back and forth to decide which to keep. The big vintage amp seems to sound more full and forward, deeper sound stage, and it has that oomph for sure. The new amp seems to be more detailed but a little reserved, not as deep a soundstage (but very wide) and I think it might have a little better bass control and definition at the expense of fullness. Struggling to decide between the two. Both go plenty loud!

Side note, could the Sierra LX hand the power of a McIntosh MC452? I have a deal that might fall into my lap but thats a huge amp and probably overkill.
    With the MC452, you won't need that much power, and if you use it all, you will damage just about any speaker.

What was the class D amp you were using for comparison?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    With the MC452, you won't need that much power, and if you use it all, you will damage just about any speaker.

What was the class D amp you were using for comparison?
    Setup 1) Vintage McIntosh Stack with C29 Preamp and MC2205 Power amp. Both were recently serviced and bench tested beautifully. The MC2205 was bench tested at hitting a little over 260 wpc before clipping. The sounds from this stack is big and bold with plenty of oomph, but I worry I am losing some detail, particularly at the low end. Damping factor is lowerish at 16, so I wonder if that is a conflict with the long excursion woofers, although I have read that anything over 10 is fine unless you are pushing monster long throw 15" woofers. Sounds stage is big and deep but not as open and differentiated. The sound is big and musical but I worry I am losing detail compared to the Marantz.

Setup 2) Marantz Model 30. Listed at 100 wpc, but Stereophile measured it at 165 watts before clipping, and two different german sites measured it at 174 and 183. (https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements) It is a dual Hypex NCore amp that share a lot of circuitry (and the modules) with the legendary PM-KI. Overall the integrated Marantz measures quite well, and is dead silent in the background. The sound is very detailed and clean, but has less oomph than the Mac. I feel like the bass notes are more articulate and differentiated but without as much extension. Sounds stage is very wide and detailed but not as deep as the Macs. Sometimes I worry it is too analytical a sound compared to the bg fun Mac, but is a little drying presentation the trade off for increased detail?

When I first switch from the Macs to the Marantz, the music sounds kind of thin and veiled until my ears adjust. Then after listening for a while and tuning myself to the more subtle, detailed sound of the Marantz,when I switch back to the Macs it sounds a little boomy and almost overwhelming in comparison. But then again my ears adjust. I am worried I might just need to keep both and get a 2 in 1 out splitter to feed the speakers so I can switch the setup based on what I am listening too haha. Initial impressions are older records (aka Fleetwood Mac from the 70's and vintage Jazz Records) sound better on the McIntosh, while digital sounds better on the Marantz. I can't decide or figure it out, which is why I am here looking for advice.
    Last edited by reforminded; 03-27-2024 at 06:06 AM.

Interesting you seem to hear that much of a difference.

While I thought I heard a difference between my ATI 1505 and Purifi 1ET400A based amp, it didn't cause me any concern.
    -curtis