Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blocked Speaker Tower - Major WAF

Default Re: Blocked Speaker Tower - Major WAF

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    As to the sub, would she accept it as an end table next to the sofa, assuming there is room?

Back to the LR, the cabinetry/finish on the Sierra line is really very nice. Maybe she'd be more accepting of those to offer you some placement flexibility?
    No. There needs to be a walk way behind the couch. She wants to put a box over the sub to make it more pleasing.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    First...putting a speaker in a corner is generally not a good idea sound wise, but we all have compromises we have to work with.

At a minimum think of "line of sight" when locating speakers. Sound is even more important as it radiates around the speaker. Think if of it as light radiating from a lamp. I hope that makes sense.
    Yes. I am literally trying to gauge how much I am missing to see if it makes sense to go with tower where I would have LOS for the tweeter on one and semi on the other.

Based on the pics, I am thinking our 340SE2 for left/right and center would be ideal. I don't see anything blocking the speakers in the pics. One option would be to "block" the speakers with grille cloth, but that would likely look worse.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Based on the pics, I am thinking our 340SE2 for left/right and center would be ideal. I don't see anything blocking the speakers in the pics. One option would be to "block" the speakers with grille cloth, but that would likely look worse.
    The new speakers would be moved to the outside which would be covered by the chairs in the corner. LOS for the tweeter should be fine for speaker on left but right would have some blockage. This is intentional from the wife who does not like the looks and convinces sound will bounce or pass through

How about bookshelf speaker on higher stands, or mounted to the wall? Gauging by your posts, that probably wouldn't fly either.
    Who will appreciate the system the most? When my ex and I got divorced, after a couple of years I began setting up an AV system in my living room. I ended up with my first set of Ascends, the original CBM-170's and HTM-200's. It was for me to enjoy.
    The kids spent their time at each household 50/50...sadly, they were very young, but we all got through it well. I remember the three of us watching a show and both kids said "It sounds so much better than at Mom's house". Honestly, that put a smile on my face.
    That said, if only you are going to be the one to appreciate the system, live with the compromise, maybe not put as much money into it, and get a good ear/headphone setup for yourself.
    BTW..ex wife and I get along fine nowadays and the kids are both music lovers. The sound system isn't why we got divorced.
    Last edited by curtis; 02-26-2024 at 06:49 AM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    How about bookshelf speaker on higher stands, or mounted to the wall? Gauging by your posts, that probably wouldn't fly either.
    Who will appreciate the system the most? When my ex and I got divorced, after a couple of years I began setting up an AV system in my living room. I ended up with my first set of Ascends, the original CBM-170's and HTM-200's. It was for me to enjoy.
    The kids spent their time at each household 50/50...sadly, they were very young, but we all got through it well. I remember the three of us watching a show and both kids said "It sounds so much better than at Mom's house". Honestly, that put a smile on my face.
    That said, if only you are going to be the one to appreciate the system, live with the compromise, maybe not put as much money into it, and get a good ear/headphone setup for yourself.
    BTW..ex wife and I get along fine nowadays and the kids are both music lovers. The sound system isn't why we got divorced.
    Laugh. I am not sure how this is going to turn out for me one way or the other. I have 40" tower approval for the corners. 340SEs on a tower (21" + 24") is probably too tall.

How about a wider TV console, and put a pair of short towers or tall bookshelves on each side, so that they appear as an extension of the TV screen? After all, the TV is the bulkier item in the room!

Something like this:
    Emotiva Fusion 8100 AVR
    Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE Main
    Rythmik L12 Sub
    55" LG OLED55CXAUA TV
    Panasonic DP-UB420-K 4K UHD Player
    Seiki SR4KP1 Region-free BD Player
    Roku Premiere+ 4k