Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New ELX Titan towers - best positioning?

Default Re: New ELX Titan towers - best positioning?

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    My first thought would be to move the speakers closer together if you can - that way you'll be closer to the opposite speaker.
    Then you lose imaging across the soundstage. It is all a compromise.

IMO, one of Ascend's greatest strengths is imaging.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Then you lose imaging across the soundstage. It is all a compromise.

IMO, one of Ascend's greatest strengths is imaging.
    With the speakers 4 feet apart, we have fantastic imaging.

I strongly recommend Stereophile Editor's Choice cd. It has a number of very helpful tracks, both test tracks and music. And John Atkinson describes how he recorded all of the music tracks, with descriptions of how they should sound.

Stereophile Editor's Choice - Test CD - Music Direct

The best way to use the music tracks would be to listen to them without knowing how they're supposed to sound, and then read the descriptions, imho.
    Last edited by James; 02-21-2024 at 06:19 AM.

In case anyone's interested, there are a few things we did that noticeably improved the imaging of our system.

First we used REW and an equalizer to help remove room effects.
    Then we took the bases off of the speakers and installed furniture glides directly to the speakers.
    And lastly we mounted the tv on the wall, moving it behind the backs of the speakers.

With the last change, we also changed some cables, but it's hard/impossible to know how much that contributed to the improvements. My guess is that moving the tv was a bigger improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    With the speakers 4 feet apart, we have fantastic imaging.

I strongly recommend Stereophile Editor's Choice cd. It has a number of very helpful tracks, both test tracks and music. And John Atkinson describes how he recorded all of the music tracks, with descriptions of how they should sound.

Stereophile Editor's Choice - Test CD - Music Direct

The best way to use the music tracks would be to listen to them without knowing how they're supposed to sound, and then read the descriptions, imho.
    Understood, but very narrow separation.

Like I said, we all have to make compromises for our individual situations.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by newbo101 View Post
    This is exactly the situation I’m trying to solve for. A fairly wide 2 cushion couch in front of the speakers with a TV and console in the middle. I noticed when sitting on the left side that I mainly hear the left speaker or at least that’s my perception. So wondering how best to make it sound fairly uniform across. I can play with horizontal alignment of all the pieces a little bit, couch, speakers, tv/console.
    Please post a pic of the front of your room showing the 2 speakers and the side walls. That stated, Curtis is correct - if you are sitting closer to one of the speakers, you will hear the output from that speaker before the opposite side speaker. That is how our brain interprets what we hear and is by design so we can detect where sound comes from (directionality)

If one speaker is closer to a side-wall, this will be exaggerated because you not only hear the direct sound from the speaker, but also the reflections from your room. So, with the speaker on the left, try to move it further away from the side wall next to it, while also moving the right speaker closer to the side wall directly next to it.

Again, please post a pic as that is most helpful.

Thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com