Thread: Home theater with ELX LCR...but what else?

Default Home theater with ELX LCR...but what else?

I'm designing a home theater room in my basement. I'm thinking ELX for LCR, and 2 PSA subs. Based on the room design and shape I'm going for a 6.2.4 set up. Any suggestions for an AVR that pairs well with ELX (and this set up)? Also, and recommendations for surround and in ceiling Atmos speakers that goes well with the ELX?

Default Re: Home theater with ELX LCR...but what else?

I have all the ELX variants and highly recommend them for HT usage. As for in ceilings, I have the sonance vp66 6.5” ones. Dave recommends these as well, they match well sonically to the ascends. I currently use htm-200s as surrounds but will replace them with the lunas once Dave offers the titan tweeter option.

I'm curious what the 6th speaker is?

Quote Originally Posted by zeeke42 View Post
    If you are referring to the 6 in the "6.2.4" Atmos configuration, I'm curious as well. Is there a center speaker? Is there a rear center speaker? (3) fronts/(3) rears?

The .2 is for 2 subs, .4 is for ceiling speakers.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

The center rear speaker started fading away years ago because the illusion that sometimes occurred of sound from that speaker was coming from the front.

I am also curious of the 6 speaker config.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by zeeke42 View Post
    I was originally thinking left, center, right, two surrounds and one rear. So the one rear would be the 6th. In addition, two subs (EV1513m from PSA), and 4 Atmos (TBD). I've been talked out of the rear speaker for multiple reasons, so I'm down to a 5.2.4 set up. I've ordered the subs from PSA, so that is done. I'm lost on speakers, so many opinions out there. I was thinking the ELXs (for LCR) but with two subs in a smallish room 17.25' x 12.25' with acoustic treatments) is it overkill for someone who isn't an audiophile? I'm willing to pay for performance that I/the average person will appreciate. 80/20 HT/music.

Quote Originally Posted by bob2 View Post
    I was originally thinking left, center, right, two surrounds and one rear. So the one rear would be the 6th.
    Do current AVRs or pre/pros allow you to setup a single rear speaker?

I don't think mine does. Anybody know off the top of your head?
    -curtis

No, AFAIK, the Anthems do not allow a single rear speaker (at least for ARC - it would probably throw an error when calibrating). I'm not sure what would happen if one hooked up a single rear speaker and then tried to play something with a profile configured for rear speakers or when watching/listening to something in surround. There is no way to set a single back.

I don't know about other manufacturers.
    * LG OLED65E6P, BenqHT2050A
    * Anthem AVM90, Rogue ST100, VTV Pascal 7 ch
    * Sierra Towers/Horizon (all ELX RAAL), S2EXv2 surrounds, HTM200SEx4 heights, Rythmik E15HPx2
    * VPI Classic 1+ (VTA & Fatboy Gimbal), PE Eagle/RR, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook, Bob's Devices SUT, SugarCube 1 mini
    * Oppo 203 & 103D, EverSolo DMP-A6
    * miniDSP Flex, Audiosensibility & Blue Jeans cables, Symposium & Isoacoustics, GIK
    * For RDJ: Anthem MRX720, Sierra LX, Luna Duo v2 center, CXNv2, TBD