Thread: Am I benefiting from having RAAL ribbon speakers?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Am I benefiting from having RAAL ribbon speakers?

I own a pair of Sierra 2EX V2s. I love them and have zero issues with how they perform in my room. I use them for 80% TV programming such as HULU, Netflix, etc... Music is approx 18% and my preferences are jazz, big band, orchestral and other acoustic music. (the remaining 2%) is classic rock.

Here is where my question begins; I did a few on-line hearing tests and discovered I cannot hear above 14 kHz. This was my result from three different on-line tests. I did the tests in a quiet room wearing over ear headphones. I am 65 (in 2 days!.... finally true senior citizen haha) so no real surprise on the high frequency hearing loss.

Am I benefiting by the RAAL ribbons despite my hearing limitation? Is there more to the sound of the RAALs than simply their highest extension? Do they sound "better" (for lack of a better word) than the LX for my type of music preferences even though I can't hear up to and above 20khz?

The reason I'm asking, is I've been considering adding a Rhythmic L12 at some point but if I'm not hearing what the RAAL's are providing, maybe I'd be better off with the LX despite my musical preferences.

Very unscientific, but I bet most of those who like the types of music that I prefer, may be in the older demographics. So this question may apply to many EX owners.
    Last edited by rifmon; 03-06-2024 at 05:24 AM.