Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two fave jazz sacd's

Default two fave jazz sacd's

I have been buying quite a few sacd's lately and just absoultely love the way my 5.1 ascend/hsu setup sounds using the new technology. My favorite disks so far are: Land of the Giants/McCoy Tyner (Telarc SACD-63576) and Stan Getz Quartet/ Pure Getz (Concord Jazz SACD-1000-6).
    The Tyner sacd features not only the great pianist but the great Bobby Hutcherson on vibes. Giants indeed.
    Even though the Getz sacd is a re-mastered version of his quartets' 1982 analog recording (towards the end of his career and one of my favorite Getz records) Concord Jazz has done an excellent job and to my ears the sound quality is almost as good as the Tyner disk, which was recorded in pure DSD.
    Anyone else have a fave jazz release?

I have the Miles Davis CD 'Kind of Blue', not the SACD though (but I've read the mix is really good).

I also ordered some Jazz titles recorded in 24bit/96khz from AIX records. The DVD-A (that's all AIX produces) titles I have from them in Jazz are:

Latin Jazz Trio
    Luis Conte - Drums, David Garfield - Piano, David Carpenter - Bass

David Garfield - The Retro Jazz Quintet
    Larry Klimas - Tenor Sax, Walt Fowler - Trumpet, Ernest Tibbs - Bass, Oscar Seaton - Drums

Cheryl Bentyne - Among Friends
    Corey Allen - Piano, Grant Geissman - Guitar, Kevin Axt - bass, David Tull - Drums

Piano,Bass & Drums -
    Patrice Rushen - Piano, Darek Oleszkiewicz - Bass, Ndugu Chancler - drums

AIX All Stars - Surrounded by Christmas
    Laurence Juber - Guitar, Jim Cox - Piano, Leland Sklar - Bass, Steve Forman - Percussion, John Ferraro - Drums

Most of the Musician listed are studio guys but all are very talented. Only the Cheryl Bentyne disc has vocals (obviously - as she's a singer from Manhattan Transfer fame) but it all sounds really really good.

I look forward to putting one of these discs on after my son has gone to bed. The recordings are splendid and the Ascends do them great justice (to me this is the genre that the Ascends really shine in - not Jazz per say but high resolution recordings of any kind).

I'll have to check out your recommendations - I'm always on the lookout for well recorded music now. In fact, I think David F. should have a warning on his Ascends, something to the affect that once you get them, you better set a fairly high budget on music

Quote Originally Posted by mokemo
    I have been buying quite a few sacd's lately and just absoultely love the way my 5.1 ascend/hsu setup sounds using the new technology. My favorite disks so far are: Land of the Giants/McCoy Tyner (Telarc SACD-63576) and Stan Getz Quartet/ Pure Getz (Concord Jazz SACD-1000-6).

Even though the Getz sacd is a re-mastered version of his quartets' 1982 analog recording (towards the end of his career and one of my favorite Getz records) Concord Jazz has done an excellent job and to my ears the sound quality is almost as good as the Tyner disk, which was recorded in pure DSD.

Well mokemo - I went out shopping today and I found a Concord Jazz SACD sampler for a real good price ($15.99 cdn or about $12 US) so I picked it up strictly based on what you had to say about the Concord Jazz label above (though Getz isn't on it). I won't get a chance to listen to it until tonight, but I'll let you know what I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch
    In fact, I think David F. should have a warning on his Ascends, something to the affect that once you get them, you better set a fairly high budget on music
    I try and make it a point to get out to the Barnes & Noble across from my office and pick up something new that I have never heard at least once a month.
    -curtis

I got a chance to listen to that Concord Jazz SACD sampler last night and I must say I was very impressed. A great mix of Jazz selections from strings to horns to vocals and the mix is done very well indeed. This would actually make a very good reference disc to compare speakers with - there's a little bit of everything on here and the Ascends handle it beautifully! Did I ever tell you guys how much I love these speakers

Kpt...that is a hybrid disc, right? I might have to order one up.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Kpt...that is a hybrid disc, right? I might have to order one up.
    Yes it is - label says it is stereo and multichannel and can be played on any standard CD player.

edit: forgot to add that this is the Sampler 2 disc - I'll have to find Volume 1 somewhere - there was card in the CD that points to their website for info - www.concordrecords.com
    Last edited by Kpt_Krunch; 03-06-2005 at 11:23 AM.

I just ordered these three from the site:
    1032 Concord Jazz Super Audio CD Sampler $7.49
    1035 Concord Jazz SACD Sampler, Volume 2 $7.49
    1033 Genius Loves Company - SACD $14.98
    -curtis

Wow - that's a great price! Did you call them? The web site has the sampler discs at $9.98. I'm sure you'll enjoy them (well, Sampler 2 anyway - I haven't heard the first one - I hope you post and let me know how it compares to Sample 2).

I ordered from the site. For some reason, when I put them in my cart the price was $7.49......I'm not complaining. They are based out of Beverly Hills...so I had to pay tax. Shipping was $5.50 totol for the three discs.

I am looking forward to hearing them.
    -curtis