Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2EX V2 Subwoofer Integration Question

Default Re: Sierra 2EX V2 Subwoofer Integration Question

Quote Originally Posted by Oldie1 View Post
    Hi David,

Thanks for responding.

I should have explained:

The Sierras sound "good" with the Billie, but not as the Billie paired with my BMR monitors. The Billie sounds a bit "lean" with the Sierras compared to the BMRs.

On the other hand, with my Parasound preamp + Superphon amp combo, the BMRs have too much bass while the Sierras sound really nice.

I am attempting to add just a little to the bottom end to the Sierras. (Admittedly, not really a need. It's just that I already have the subwoofer and bass management features and an experimenting before I sell anything off). If I didn't already own the subwoofer, I don't think I'd be looking for one.
    The BMR's do have a bit deeper bass extension than our Sierra-2EXv2, as they should being significantly larger speakers with much more cabinet volume.

While an amplifier should reproduce 20Hz - 20kHz with a ruler flat response (typically within +/- 0.1dB) - I have come across some amplifiers that do boost lower bass signals. Sounds like either your Billie is a bit thin on bass, or that the Superphon might be slight boosted (most likely the case)
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

David,

I’ll be be running additional configurations into the mix next week and will post my assessment. I have a Mini GaN5 for evaluation.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. I find it surprising that modern amplifiers can boost bass or have audible effects. These days, you really have to TRY to design a solid state amplifier poorly so that it is not transparent and ruler flat.

I caved recently and purchased the MiniDSP Flex 8 with Dirac room correction. Bluesound Node -> MiniDSP -> 2 channels to amplifier, 2 channels to subwoofers. Makes integration with subwoofers a DREAM. The SVS software was easy to use but allowing Dirac to do the work and having DSP control over each channel really makes things easy (and complicated at the same time). I couldn’t give up the guitar pluck detail on the Sierra-2EX in exchange for the benefits of the LX. I listen to mostly acoustic and classical. Now with two SVS 3000 Micro subs and some extra TLC with Dirac room correction, I’m a happy camper.
    Last edited by bkdc; 01-16-2024 at 10:54 AM.

I spent 9 hours driving up the East Coast during the ice storm yesterday. Sooo, I just had to mess with my system when I got home 😵*💫

Parasound Pre using the 80hz sub out and the high pass filter to the mains at 60hz sounded better than doing both at 80hz for some reason. This is with the Mini GaN 5 amp. The sound is a tad bright and "analytical". I'll hook up the Superphon amp later today or tomorrow after taking care of the snow and ice.

The Parasound + Mini GaN combo was way too bright through the BMR2s. Some recordings from the late 80s are extremely bright.

The Billie Amp used as a preamp only sounds incredible with anything I've paired it with. That's another rat hole!

Thank you for all of your responses. I'm going to wrap this up:
    - I could not dial in the sound I wanted with the Parasound Pre / SVS Subwoofer / Mini GaN amp. I changed crossover points via the bass management system and changed interconnect cables - but not satisfied.

- I came across a pre-owned Conrad Johnson tube preamp and ran the speakers full range with the GaN -> Done! No need for the subwoofer. Very pleased with the sound.

I would suggest a 40Hz sub xover..Higher than that is too localizable (spelling).
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

Quote Originally Posted by choirbass View Post
    I would suggest a 40Hz sub xover..Higher than that is too localizable (spelling).
    I would say play around with a crossover below 100hz. Try difference settings to see what sounds best for you. Studies have shown that sub may not be localizable up to 200hz.

I have the LX and cross to a F15hp at 60hz. On their own, I get good response from the LX in my room down to the low 30's hz.

When I had Sierra-2's, I crossed at 80hz.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/sub...udies.3058756/
    -curtis

If it's feasible....you could also implement separate cross-overs for music & home theater....in the latter, I perfer... the sub set at 90hz....I get better tactile feel ...in my room...music it's 60hz....ymmv.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Hey Curtis,

After checking the link, they gave 100Hz as the highest, not 200.

My highest is 40Hz, after spending years of simply disliking any sub I heard. I could always hear the sub. Which is not what you want. A sub should act as support, not as an additional speaker. Above 40Hz becomes directional
    Last edited by choirbass; 03-15-2024 at 02:48 AM.
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

Quote Originally Posted by choirbass View Post
    Hey Curtis,

After checking the link, they gave 100Hz as the highest, not 200.

My highest is 40Hz, after spending years of simply disliking any sub I heard. I could always hear the sub. Which is not what you want. A sub should act as support, not as an additional speaker. Above 40Hz becomes directional
    Read the entire first post:
    "Very little directional information below about 200Hz".

80hz has been the defacto standard to sub crossover settings and to when bass becomes directional since THX standards were developed, That said, this hobby, as we all know, is very subjective, all rooms are different, and we all should do what we are happy with.
    -curtis